The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   When Buying A Horse... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/when-buying-horse-228146/)

Horsegirl317 07-07-2013 07:18 PM

When Buying A Horse...

My parents are looking at buying me my first horse (yay!) I'm 15 and have been leasing for three years now and have been riding for 4. I had finally found a horse I loved and was leasing eventually to own but he came down with EPM..it's a long story. Anyways it's been almost a year since that happened and I found a horse we really want to buy. He's $3500, which for what he does, is a reasonable price. But they said they'd work with us on price because money is tight right now. They said we should make an offer but we aren't sure as to what offer would be fair. As 1st time horse buyers we'd really love some opinions! Thanks!! :-)

Cat 07-07-2013 07:41 PM

Hard to suggest an offer price without knowing his training, breed/pedigree, age, registration status, conformation, and location. All that factors into affair price.

Becca93 07-07-2013 07:42 PM

Its impossible to tell you without knowing more about the horse you are hoping to buy.

DancingArabian 07-07-2013 07:45 PM

The purchase price is the cheapest part of a horse. If finances are already tight you might want to really look into if all the regular, ongoing costs of a horse (and the lessons you will probably want or need) are doable.
Posted via Mobile Device

Horsegirl317 07-07-2013 08:11 PM

Thank you all! That makes a lot of sense! He's not at a high level in dressage but jumps up to 3 feet. He's been worked maybe once every month for the past 6 months or so. If that helps any...which it probably doesn't.

Country Woman 07-08-2013 04:13 PM

Good luck

~*~anebel~*~ 07-08-2013 04:18 PM

What are your goals in riding?
Do you want to compete? Which disciplines?
Where do you see yourself riding in 2 years? 10 years?

These are all questions to ask yourself. Then look at the horses who are doing these things (ie competing in 3'6" hunters, doing third level dressage, etc..) and then take an honest look at the horse you are looking to buy. Look to see if he is capable of taking you to where you want to be in the next 2-5 years, and then, at that point will he be able to be sold to finance your next horse (ie will he be too old, have lameness issues, have any vices like cribbing, etc..).
If your goals are to have fun and ride for fun - then any horse you feel safe on and who has no health problems is probably the perfect horse.

Good luck!

My2Geldings 07-08-2013 05:19 PM

Do you have pictures of this horse or videos?

Horsegirl317 07-09-2013 12:55 PM

Thanks all! Unfortunately I don't have a picture. I've thought about it and he really has everything I've been looking for in terms of a horse. I think we're gonna have a lot of fun together. He's so capable and willing, he loves to jump and with the correct hand looks amazing in dressage!! I tried him out and I already love him! The owners called us back and it's going to work out! Thanks for all of your help!:D