The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   To Clip or Not to Clip? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/clip-not-clip-22815/)

cowgirlfitzy 02-17-2009 09:50 PM

To Clip or Not to Clip?

I was just curious what everyones opinion on body clipping was and how many people do it. I body clipped my horse last summer because it was like July and he wasn't even close to being done shedding (my fault tho, he was at a barn under lights during the winter and started shedding out, then I brought him home in Janurary and he grew his coat back. I think his body got confused). So I can't decide if i want to do it again this year. I'm very impatient when it comes to shedding.

I do show but all the shows I go to are mostly Shaggy shows until summer so I don't have to. He does wear a blanket. I work regularly so He can get pretty hot when it starts to warm out. I hate brushing a furry sweaty horse.

What I didn't like about the body clipping was that he is a dun, and his Dun factor wasn't as noticable. I do like the really short cut tho. It is so nice and neat.

Does anyone have any tips on getting them to shead out faster?

If I were to clip when would be a good time? I live in Michigan and most horse don't shed out until like mid June and the weather is iffy.

I don't know whats your thoughts, helpful tips ect.?

Angel_Leaguer 02-18-2009 07:54 AM

I dont body clip but will start blanketing the middle of march. Everyday I take a shedding brush to the horse and by May almost all the winter hair is gone. You have to blanket according to the weather and keep them warmer then they would be without the blanket. The sweaty furry horse is just a part of raising horses...jmo though

toosleepy 02-18-2009 09:17 AM

I wouldn't body shave him if you're going for the dunn factor. It also distorts the natural color some. If you can put lights on him to simulate longer day light hours, it really helps shedding out. My horses are usually completely shed out by may.

LauraB 02-18-2009 11:12 AM

I would wait and see how he sheds out this spring. If he is still really hairy before one of your regular shows I might consider clipping him. Showglo is a great coat supplement and that may help too.

equineangel91 02-18-2009 11:34 AM

i plan to body clip in march, he's never had it done before but he's very hardy and the people at eh barn are pretty diligent about the blankets, they're checked a few times a day. So my horse will def be clipped in march when weather is nicer. I've never done it before either but im determined to do it. Any tips would be great lol

plus i know he's a pretty slow shedder and he doesnt shed evenly
however that was when he was unhealthy so im not sure...

cowgirlfitzy 02-18-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equineangel91 (Post 253827)
i plan to body clip in march, he's never had it done before but he's very hardy and the people at eh barn are pretty diligent about the blankets, they're checked a few times a day. So my horse will def be clipped in march when weather is nicer. I've never done it before either but im determined to do it. Any tips would be great lol

plus i know he's a pretty slow shedder and he doesnt shed evenly
however that was when he was unhealthy so im not sure...

Its really easy. It takes a while especially if you have small clippers. All you do is go against the hair, everywhere. Feel them often to make sure they are not too hot. You can buy some of that cooling spray that helps a lil bit but its alcohol based so it will dry them out as well, so oil frequently too. Oh and be prepared to have those clippers with you for a couple days because your garenteed to have missed some spots haha! Oh I used a #10 blade. That will leave the longest.

cowgirlfitzy 02-18-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toosleepy (Post 253733)
I wouldn't body shave him if you're going for the dunn factor. It also distorts the natural color some. If you can put lights on him to simulate longer day light hours, it really helps shedding out. My horses are usually completely shed out by may.

I know thats what I wish I could do but I have no way to put him under lights. No electric :( I wish I could afford to board him right now. I'm sick of this weather. Its really takin away from my riding time too. I guess I'll wait. and hopefully he will shed out early.

Horsezrule4884 02-22-2009 07:19 PM

i clipped my horse poppy and she looked great but she is a chesnut so u have to be able wat u do with them or they turn orange!

PoptartShop 02-22-2009 07:41 PM

I usually don't clip, but a clipped horse does look neat & pretty. I do blanket during the winter, esp. on those cold nights. :)

Jubilee Rose 02-22-2009 11:36 PM

I don't clip my horse either since I like the natural look. My horse usually sheds pretty early anyway. But I would do as others have suggested, try blanketing him to see if that helps. And tons of brushing! A shedding blade works wonders:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg

^ Something like this.