The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Rank these in order (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/rank-these-order-228290/)

ForeverSunRider 07-07-2013 10:21 PM

Rank these in order

I'm sure you all know the *correct* order to place these in, but you have to be honest. How do you personally rank them?

When horse shopping, in order of importance, what order do you rank these qualities?

*In no particular order*

Color
Breed
Over all health
Speed
Gate
Discipline
Training level

Only some characteristics are listed. Feel free to add more, but please rank the ones I've listed in addition to the others you wish to add.

TheAQHAGirl 07-07-2013 10:27 PM

1. Overall health
2. Training Level
3. Temperament
4. Discipline
5. Breed
6. Gate (I'm assuming gait? Like walk, trot, canter?)
7. Age
8. Height
9. Speed
10. Gender

JoesMom 07-07-2013 10:36 PM

Overall health
Temperament
Training level
Breed
Discipline
Height
Speed
Gait
Color

BarrelBunny 07-07-2013 10:45 PM

I don't think there truly is a "correct" order to put these in, but this is the order *I* would put them in:

Health
*Confo!*
Discipline (I think the following are more of sub-categories)
-Speed
-Gait(?)
-Breed
Training Level
Temperament
Height
Color
Dreamcatcher Arabians 07-07-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverSunRider (Post 2995186)
I'm sure you all know the *correct* order to place these in, but you have to be honest. How do you personally rank them?

When horse shopping, in order of importance, what order do you rank these qualities?

*In no particular order*

Color
Breed
Over all health
Speed
Gate
Discipline
Training level

Only some characteristics are listed. Feel free to add more, but please rank the ones I've listed in addition to the others you wish to add.

Ok, when I go shopping I already know exactly what I want or I don't go. So:

Breed
Conformation
Pedigree
Color
Overall Health
Breeding Health or
Genetic Carrier?
Discipline Bred For
Training level (if any, frequently I buy foals that are barely handled)

Skyseternalangel 07-07-2013 10:59 PM

Temperment
Breed
Height
Discipline
Training level
Gait (as in smooth vs big vs rough vs short... or gaited?)
Speed
Color

Apparently MY priorities are all out of whack :P

Raven13 07-07-2013 11:10 PM

I don't get to actually horse shop yet, but when I pretend horse shop:
1) Over all health (has to be sound and healthy to consider buying)
2) Gender (I'm a hard core gelding person, sorry mare lovers :-()
3) Conformation (put together well for longevity)
4) Temperament (our personalities have to blend so I know we'll work well together)
5) Gait (Nice gaits are a plus, but even bad ones can usually be improved)
6) Age (not too young, not too old)
7) Breed (I'm very partial to TBs)
8) Height (I prefer a larger/taller horse as I have longer legs)
9) Training Level (I don't mind training a horse, in fact I'd prefer it)
10) Color (I love chestnuts, but I'll take just about anything..although for some reason I'm turned off by high stockings and blazes. Now I'm just getting plain picky lol)
11) Discipline (can be retrained)
12) Speed (as long as he can move fast than me, I'm happy :lol:)

boots 07-07-2013 11:32 PM

I only consider these, really.

Health
Temperament
Health and temperament are both equal and paramount. Health includes soundness, though if I think an issue is temporary or can be corrected (hooves or chiropractic adjustment), I'll take the chance. Regarding age, I won't take anything under 3 and prefer most 4s and any 5 and up, but may take horses into their late 20s. My kids' first horse was 28.

Roperchick 07-07-2013 11:33 PM

Well when im "shopping" im already looking for a specific type

So for me its usually

Health: first thing I do is get a ppe. Vet and farrier usually go with me.

Conformation: no brainer here. No build no horse.

Breed and pedigree...what kind of disciplines in their line: im not worried whether theyre papered but I likehaving a traceable background to look and and kind of get an idea what could be in store for them

Age: not a huge factor for me. I know theres lots of good older horsws out there and lots of reallygood youngins. But im usually in the long teem prospect when im looking. Something that il lget my investment back from. Plus something i can staet fresh and train my way with not too many previous vices.

Genetics. Theres always a chance if its a mare or a stud that someday I may find a dream match and have a really good prospect baby so I want to know just to be safe that theres not going to be anything funky going on if I do.

Then everything else.

Training, tempermant, gaits, gender, and color dont really matter to me. I personally like doing my own training and that way theres no confusion or mixed signals. Tempermant isnt a biggie either. Ive dealt with pretty much everything and when itcomes right down to it, theyll still suprise you and if youre training em right, then they'll still work for you regardless.

As fo gaits, as long as they get the job done then whatever.

Gender is loke everything else. Ive ridden some raunchy studs, and some you wouldnt even know had a pair if you didnt look.
Ive ridden geldings that can put my mares tempers to shame and some that will drop dead before quittingon me.
And ive ridden mares that have tried to literally tear my face off but will work till their hearts burst, and mares that are sweet as piebutwont move to save tbeir own lives so...low on my list.

And I wouldnt say color is even on my list. Ive already got my dream horse, a palomino, and heck I would have gotten him anyways.

My2Geldings 07-07-2013 11:39 PM

Overall health
Training level
Temperament
Previous health issues
Color
Speed