The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   No Brakes! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/no-brakes-228498/)

KigerQueen 07-08-2013 03:59 AM

No Brakes!

When I got my mare she was ridden in a sidpull. After she almost ran INTO traffic and had a indent in her nose did I say 'THAT is not working' and used a 'grazing' curb bit. She did fine, for a while. Then She started to just throw her head up and avoid the bit (i was trained to ride cutting horses so i ONLY pick up the rains to stop so im not constantly pulling on her) and she started running through the but. I tried a snaffle and she took off again, tried the one rain stop and she ran looking behind her -_-'. Tried a twisted snaffle and she just about flipped over (did not Touch the rains, just sitting in her mouth she lost it) and same reaction with a kimberwick. So I have her in a tomtumb. She stops mostly good. Anything faster than a walk and I MIGHT have brakes. I have worked with her the way my bf tough me (he works and retrain problem horses) and she out smarted it. Another old cowboy showed me what he did and she fights it (trot stop and turn real quick, she wont stop she just keeps going). So any suggestions? I cant afford a trainer, I can afford food board and vet, that's it.

Bits I have/ used (excluding twisted and kimberwick)

Curb
http://www.chicksaddlery.com/Merchan...001/257322.JPG

Snaffle
http://tackshop.horsefriendly.com/me...snaffle_lg.jpg

Tomthumb (no copper on mine but same style)
http://www.thewesternvault.com/images/uploaded/tom.JPG

Ellieandrose 07-08-2013 07:29 AM

Instead of ridding off her mouth ride from your body and voice. Other members on here would be better at explain on how to ride from your body instead of mouth.
Posted via Mobile Device

KigerQueen 07-08-2013 08:36 AM

I Have worked on that with her, the issue NO ONE wants to rider after riding her once. NO ONE can sit anything past the walk. When she trots you get forced out of the seat so keeping contact is extremely difficult. Loping is not as bad, issue is that she slows down into the trot again and we run into the being launched out of the saddle issue. Is there a way to keep contact and post? when I ask her to stop, push myself into the saddle and bring my legs forward. She dose not really know leg and body ques. Most of the time leg ques to her mean "faster? Ok!" she had gotten better though I will say that.

Here is a vid from Sat.(a lot of the bouncing is when im trying to get her to stop so I 'quit riding' as I have been told by many people.

palogal 07-08-2013 08:41 AM

Have her teeth been checked?

Ellieandrose 07-08-2013 08:55 AM

I'm going to write a bit if an essay on my phone so I'm sorry how this turns out. Haha.
My mare used to be exactly like that, I sit deep and ask her to slow down and we'd ether end up in some gallop thing or she'd buck me off. So I went back to basics as people have said on here. From the video you put up it looks like that she could have a bit of a reminder on her ground work then once she is listening and looking for your slightest ques then we mount. What I found helpful was even having someone on the ground so the horse thinks its doing its regular ground work just with weight in the saddle and pressure on its sides. Once said horse is listen to the person on the ground start transferring ques from the person on the ground to the person on the horse. For example, every time the person on the ground tells you they are preparing to stop then you ask her to stop from the saddle, including a 'wooh' or what ever what you want to include. (:
Once you think the horse is listen to you take the person away and see if it works, if not keep going on with this training. If it does work try at the trot, if the horse struggles to listen to you at the transition bring the person back in for the transition as well. This could and probably will take weeks if not months. This is how I did it with my mare and she's a dream now. Mum got a good work out as well!
Posted via Mobile Device

palogal 07-08-2013 09:09 AM

True she lacks balance and focus in the gait so it's no wonder she's not real fun to ride. I would have her teeth done if they've not been done recently. It's the ear pinning at certain points that makes me suspect pain in the mouth.

Tracer 07-08-2013 09:14 AM

Personally, I'd get back on the ground and do a crud-load of ground driving. Basically, it sounds to me like she needs remouthing. I sure wouldn't be getting on board again until you have some kind of brakes established on the ground.

KigerQueen 07-08-2013 09:18 AM

She had her teeth done last year. She was 17 and looked like they had not been done in 10 years -_-' (that was a fun almost $100). I don't know how to help the balance issue. She dose not know where her feet are I can tell when we play with barrels. I might try working in the curb a it dose not hit the roof of her mouth (where the pain is coming from I bet). I may have to wait till winter to get someone to help me as its been in the low 100 and NO ONE wants do be out in that lol.

QtrBel 07-08-2013 09:47 AM

Try caveletti work. Have her teeth checked again and go back to ground work would be my suggestion.

KigerQueen 07-08-2013 10:09 AM

Ill see if I can get some, don't know how much they run for though.