The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Two personalites. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/two-personalites-228546/)

Ellieandrose 07-08-2013 07:43 AM

Two personalites.
 
At home Zoey is a relaxed buckled rideable horse over jumps and on the flat. She listens to my voice, seat and legs like a champ. As soon as we go somewhere on the ground she is her usual chilled self who falls asleep when standing still. But as soon as I get on she just freaks out comp day or not she just doesn't listen and grabs the bit throws her head in between her legs and has a fit and throws me off then gallops off to next Tuesday. I can have her stand still all day and she doesn't care but as soon as we start moving all hell breaks loose. I use the same saddles, bridles ect that I use at home her teeth are up to date. I'm getting her out at least two times a month for the past year and nothing has changed. I can't remember one outing that she hasn't thrown me. Any ideas? I'm coming to my wits ending trying to make her happy and calm. I just don't know what to do.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ellieandrose 07-08-2013 10:04 PM

Bump.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 07-08-2013 10:22 PM

Seems like she doesn't trust you in new situations. The fact she's fine at home is because it is familiar to her.

If you don't feel safe with her on excursions, then do ground work in new places. Slowly build up until she puts her faith in you insetad of trying to take charge of the situation and choosing to flee.

Also is there someway to pony her with a more experienced horse? That may help her too.

Ellieandrose 07-08-2013 10:30 PM

Every second or so trip she is with one if not more calm experienced horses, no change still an a**hole.
I've taken her out done tons of ground work and she'll listen like a gem, I'm chilled, happy and keen to get on and have a nice ride. Once on and we move its just like something clicks, she doesn't become 'looky' or spook at anything it's just general I'm a race horse again type of thought process for her.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 07-08-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellieandrose (Post 3005857)
Once on and we move its just like something clicks, she doesn't become 'looky' or spook at anything it's just general I'm a race horse again type of thought process for her.
Posted via Mobile Device

Can you walk me through what she does and what you do to correct her?

Ellieandrose 07-08-2013 10:58 PM

So I'll ask her to walk on by giving a slight squeez with my legs ether having contact or loose reins and saying walk on I might be able to get a few steps of walk then she'll start jogging so I say 'wooh'(which she knows means slow down) and I'll ask with my legs, squeezing with my thighs(which she knows is her que to transition down) and she'll ether come back for a few strides and jog again or she will grab the bit and run through it. When she does that I give her a check by half halting then she'll throw her head pull the reins through my fingers and ether buck or rear and take off.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 07-08-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellieandrose (Post 3006129)
So I'll ask her to walk on by giving a slight squeez with my legs ether having contact or loose reins and saying walk on I might be able to get a few steps of walk then she'll start jogging so I say 'wooh'(which she knows means slow down) and I'll ask with my legs, squeezing with my thighs(which she knows is her que to transition down) and she'll ether come back for a few strides and jog again or she will grab the bit and run through it. When she does that I give her a check by half halting then she'll throw her head pull the reins through my fingers and ether buck or rear and take off.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe she's getting confused or excited and so she's mistaking your cues for something else entirely.. or you could be anticipating her jiggy behavior and doing something that encourages her to run.

What if you tried working her laterally or taking her into a big circle if she starts jigging? What do you think would happen?

Ellieandrose 07-08-2013 11:13 PM

If I take her out on a big circle she'll come to a walk for longer(a few more strides) but at a very fast expressive walk, it's actually quite funny to watch, then she'll forget she has four legs and scare her self and were off at a brisk uncontrolled trot. If we have a large enough space I'll do different sized circles, changing directions, shortening her stride, lengthing it ect to get her thinking and that will work to an extent.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 07-08-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellieandrose (Post 3006265)
If I take her out on a big circle she'll come to a walk for longer(a few more strides) but at a very fast expressive walk, it's actually quite funny to watch, then she'll forget she has four legs and scare her self and were off at a brisk uncontrolled trot. If we have a large enough space I'll do different sized circles, changing directions, shortening her stride, lengthing it ect to get her thinking and that will work to an extent.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think if you stay on her in terms of correcting what you don't ask for.. I think she'll slowly improve.

If not, there could be something else there that we aren't thinking about.

Ellieandrose 07-08-2013 11:26 PM

Dads got a new car that can pull the float so ill be taking her out probably every weekend. I will nip this in the but. Just hope it doesnt take longer then two years to get a slight improvement. I'm thinking about changing her to a figure 8 noseband as well as she is currently in a cavason with a flash. I'm also thinking it MAY be the bit as she has quite a low pallet and if she has more pressure on her mouth then she'd prefer she try's crossing her jaw. I'm not one for 'bitting up', I currently have her in a French link egg but snaffle with moderate thickness. Dressage and flat work she's fine in it, jumping she puts up with it and that's when she crosses.
Posted via Mobile Device


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0