The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   WHICH BREED OF FOR EVENTING? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/breed-eventing-2286/)

Eventer Gal 06-18-2007 09:33 PM

WHICH BREED OF FOR EVENTING?

Hi,

Just want to know your opion on 'what breed is most suited to Eventing'. Cause over in Australia big draft horses are becoming more and more popular..... Apart from ponies what is the most suited breed.
Out of:
Thoroughbreds (unraced)
Thoroughbreds (raced)
Warmbloods
Arabs
Quarabs
Standard bred
Appolusa
Quarter Horses
Stockhorses
OTHER??

Even if you don't do Eventing-any level-just curious!! :lol:

lovemydwb 06-18-2007 10:15 PM

People say thoroughbreds (unraced) are the best for eventing because of the changes in cross-country...they need speed... but it really depends on the horse. Every animal is going to be different and you've just got to find one with the mentality to go for it. I have a Dutch Warmblood/ Thoroughbred cross that my parents bought me for eventing and he's the best eventer I've seen! But, like I said, it depends on the horse.

Lipizzangirl 06-18-2007 10:33 PM

I would agree with lovemydwb. Unfortunately I've never really done eventing and I'm more of a dressage girl. I now that if you ever get into that then Lipizzans are really good ^.^ They're not the best jumpers though so I probably wouldn't suggest them.

giget 06-18-2007 10:53 PM

i prefer raced thoroughbred dont no why i agree draught horses are un and coming in the eventing word iv seen several cyldales and clydieX at shows eventing iv never though of them as eventers before but arnt they gorgeous to watch!!!!!!!

lovemydwb 06-18-2007 10:58 PM

I wouldn't go with a straight draft cross, they tend to have a silly jump (even if they get over it) and sometimes tend to be slow, I like a draft cross, they're slightly leaner and have better athleticism (not saying draft horses aren't athletic) they look well in dressage and judges tend to love them, but they can also give you what you need for cross-country. Are you looking for an eventing horse?

crazypony 06-24-2007 06:26 PM

I prefer the TB X WB cross or straight TB which is unraced

0-0Dublin0-0 06-26-2007 09:11 PM

I really like draft crosses for eventing...something like a perch/tb or similar PLUS they are tanks on the XC course. :) Like with my horse nothing...I REAPEAT NOTHING stops him on any cross-country course! You get a nice horse and they almost look like some Warmbloods but the price is WAYYY better!

~AUSSIE SHOWJUMPER~ 07-09-2007 09:29 PM

thanks so much guys for expressing your interest, but i have to say you can't bet the old Thoroughbred-they do the job! Clydie's i feel are to big to do xcountry, when i look for a eventer i look for the real light movement - apart from the big draft pounding along! I don't think well trained clydies look silly over jumps, there bold powerful jump is acually really excilerating to watch!

KANSAS_TWISTER 07-10-2007 05:16 PM

our barn had a tb/clyd for eventing

Eventer Gal 07-11-2007 11:25 PM

Thanks for your opions :P really appeciate it! 8) KANSAS_TWISTER: How sucessful was the horse you refered to in the last post? I know of a TB cross Clydie, she is 5yr at the moment but geez can she jump!! With no training, she doesn't look unbalanced or nothing-buggar (i have been training Halicou' for about 11months to get those kind of results!
Catch ya later! :D