The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Untangling her knotted mane? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/untangling-her-knotted-mane-228889/)

EmbersIncendiary 07-08-2013 05:10 PM

Untangling her knotted mane?

1 Attachment(s)
My mare has a medium-length mane with a bit missing because her previous owners used a cattle hay ring for her. This summer, we transitioned her out into a large field and she loves to run, nearly all day if it's not too hot. The wind has severely tangled her mane into two knots. I haven't tried a whole lot to get them out, maybe 10 minutes or so but I want to get them out without having to cut them out. Any advice would be welcome. This picture kind of shows the knots, they're a little difficult to see.

GamingGrrl 07-08-2013 05:13 PM

I would try coating them in conditioner and picking through them with your fingers. Only use a brush if really necessary, and start at the ends of the hair and work your way up to the top.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cacowgirl 07-08-2013 08:29 PM

Use conditioner or oil, take your time, it shouldn't take too long to untangle.

tlkng1 07-08-2013 08:33 PM

There is a great product out there for untangling the mane and tail..it is called Vetrolin Detangler. The stuff is like silicone. Wet the mane and put this stuff in and after a couple of minutes start working the knots out with your fingers.

My2Geldings 07-08-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmbersIncendiary (Post 3002825)
My mare has a medium-length mane with a bit missing because her previous owners used a cattle hay ring for her. This summer, we transitioned her out into a large field and she loves to run, nearly all day if it's not too hot. The wind has severely tangled her mane into two knots. I haven't tried a whole lot to get them out, maybe 10 minutes or so but I want to get them out without having to cut them out. Any advice would be welcome. This picture kind of shows the knots, they're a little difficult to see.

What I would do is detangle her mane by hand. You dont want to use combs because you'll rip all her mane out. You could try spraying some detangler but I dont think its going to help in any way at this point. Worst case scenario is to cut it all off and let it grow back, tho I think you can save whats there.

dressagebelle 07-08-2013 09:25 PM

Definitely don't brush it, at least not the whole thing. My Arabian had a mane down a little past her shoulder, but because of lack of care it was completely tangled up. I just coated it in detangler, and with a small brush just started lightly brushing starting at the very tip. It was so bad that people had recommended that I just cut it all off and start over, but I didn't want to destroy her nice mane, and I'm glad I didn't. Hers was about 10x worse than your mares, and with just a little time, and lots of detangler/conditioner, I got it all untangled and looking nice. Good luck.

Swampy 07-08-2013 10:29 PM

work baby oil into the knots then pick it by hand

FaydesMom 07-08-2013 10:46 PM

As already said, goo the knots up with a conditioner and start picking it apart from the bottom. Work your way up through the knot, gently separating it just a few strands at a time.

Also wanted to add, stay away from silicone sprays. Silicone really drys out the hairs and makes them brittle.

GreySorrel 07-09-2013 04:06 PM

Cowboy magic! Nothing like it....LOVE it for knots...

verona1016 07-09-2013 04:11 PM

My horse's mane is a couple feet long and I use Canter Mane and Tail conditioner on him every week or two when I rebraid his mane. The one time he got a nasty "dreadlock" like that it worked great to get it out with a lot of hand picking at it (no brushing until it's detangled!)