The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   AQHA Lawsuit with cloning (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/aqha-lawsuit-cloning-228993/)

My2Geldings 07-08-2013 06:29 PM

AQHA Lawsuit with cloning

What are your thoughts on this issue?

AQHA: AQHA Cloning Lawsuit Resources

QtrBel 07-08-2013 06:35 PM

Cloning opens a can of worms I don't want to see opened. I wholeheartedly agree with the AQHA stance on it..

My2Geldings 07-08-2013 06:36 PM

I agree with you. I don't agree they should allow cloned horses into the registry. By preventing it from happening, it will hopefully discourage people from doing it.

LolHorse 07-08-2013 09:20 PM

Hmm, it's a touchy subject but I personally can see the potential for cloning in horses that were gelded or died early without reproducing (that is if the cell matter is fresh enough). If people have the money to do so than I suppose they could do it..Still not too sure on my stance.

I know that quite a few famous geldings like Gem Twist were cloned, but I'm not too sure how their clones are doing or even their offspring.

Edit: Turns out Gem Twist has passed away before they made his clone.

oh vair oh 07-08-2013 11:27 PM

No, he has a clone, Gemini.

http://replicafarm.com/horse/Gem-Twist

QtrBel 07-09-2013 07:55 AM

I thought he had two? I haven't seen anything on the second since they haven't competed and I thought were only going to breed. There was news in 2012 of Gemini having a foal on the ground....

My feeling is that you roll the dice and geld or not. It is a part of the risk of breeding and raising horses. Part of the excitement and surprise and wonder of breeding.

JulieG 07-09-2013 08:38 AM

We were just discussing Scamper on another thread and I got curios and looked him up.

Apparently he has a clone named Clayton, not sure what he's up to though.

Tracer 07-09-2013 09:18 AM

Funnily enough, my friend and I were only talking the other day about cloning my horse because he has an amazing temperament and is so quiet to ride, so she wants me to clone a shorter version of him. Of course, that is all in jest.

I'm very torn regarding cloning, and I don't blame the AQHA for not accepting cloned horses. Offspring of cloned horses, maybe.

ButtInTheDirt 07-09-2013 11:28 AM

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole cloning situation, but I know even in the horse world there are quite a few on the ground. My thing with that is, they state that there can be differences in height and slight variations in bone density/structure. If they clone a gelding and offer the clone for stud, I still feel like it should be proven as well regardless of what the original did. What if it is not as fast? What if the gelding, had he been a stud, wouldn't throw a decent foal in the first place? There are always gambles in breeding, but I feel just because an animal is a genetic copy doesn't mean it should be assumed that it is just as good. Then if you throw in personality, it is not the same animal, it won't think or act exactly the same. What if the stud was just a monster? Not saying all studs are, I've met plenty of nice ones, but breeding to something with godawful personality just because it took millions to make him? Their are plenty of sour studs out there bred for just their pedigree, so eliminating it wouldn't get rid of that entirely.

At one point weren't foals conceived by AI unregisterable? Or was it just with frozen semen of stallions deceased? Not necessarily AQHA, but somewhere out there. Maybe in the future it might be more acceptable, but for now I think it will be a gray area.

LolHorse 07-09-2013 03:29 PM

I agree ButtInTheDirt, but what if that gelding or stallion that never produced offspring had some sort of unique genetic "deformity" that lead to their success, maybe something like an enlarged heart like Secretariat? Incredibly rare but a possibility...

Some stallions have a fantastic showing career but never have any foals that even come close to their success, but other stallions who did so-so can throw incredible foals. Yes, there are many factors outside of genetics that determine a horse's success.

I see no harm in allowing these cloned horses reproduce, it'd be nice to see how their offspring turn out and learn more on how it all works with offspring and the clone's career success. Sometimes the benefits won't immediately show, but perhaps over many years we can see tremendous results?