The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   I think poor Rosealie has a tumor ;( (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/i-think-poor-rosealie-has-tumor-229065/)

OutOfTheLoop 07-08-2013 09:46 PM

I think poor Rosealie has a tumor ;(

2 Attachment(s)
This thing has drveloped within the last two days or so, and it is about the size of a gumball atm. Poor Rosealie. I knew rats were prone to getting tumors, but of course I would never had imagined that it would happen to my daughters beloved pets. I am not sure what path I want to take on this. Neither me nor my finance particurly like the things, but my daughter loves them to death. I can say that from what I have read they are not the cheapest things to get removed, and they have a high probability of growing back. I feel so bad as I just found it tonight, and atm there is nothing I can do about it. Anyone here with rats have experience with these types of things? Rose and her cell mate Alice are about 2 years old now, so im guessing its expected for these things to start happening as they age. I am not willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a rat, it is just not feasible for me, but I do not want her to suffer, and want to make sure she is comfortable.
You can see the tumor under her armpit in the pics. Sorry for the lighting, between my horrible phone and my daughters pink walls, its impossible to get a good pic.

Attachment 227121

Attachment 227129

OutOfTheLoop 07-08-2013 09:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And a few more pics of the little stinkers.

demonwolfmoon 07-08-2013 09:58 PM

this would happen to all (every single one! same family though) of the elderly mice I had as a kid. it would eventually impede a happy life for them but I was too young and ignorant to think of ending it. ask a vet how much to remove the tumor...or wait until it starts dragging her down and show her mercy.

I feel for your daughter. I guess its one of those lessons on the nature of life. :(

How old is DD?

OutOfTheLoop 07-08-2013 11:02 PM

She is six. I'm willing to pay a little bit of it will give her a little bit more life, but I'm not shelling out hundreds for her to die a month later. I guess I should start talking to daughter and getting her used to the fact. This will be her first real pet that she will lose to death of the tumor/cyst brings the rat down.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 07-08-2013 11:13 PM

This happened to our female rats. It happens when they are not allowed to breed (just as breast cancer is more prevalent amoungst humans who ont breed). We paid the 200$ or tumor removal which gave the rat another 8 months or so.

demonwolfmoon 07-08-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 3005665)
This happened to our female rats. It happens when they are not allowed to breed (just as breast cancer is more prevalent amoungst humans who ont breed). We paid the 200$ or tumor removal which gave the rat another 8 months or so.

8 months is a long time to a rat. Might be worth it.

OutOfTheLoop 07-08-2013 11:32 PM

I could manage that for 8 more months I suppose. We are moving the end of this month, and we had talked to her about finding the rats a new home, but now I wouldnt feel right giving away a sick rat. As long as she doesn't have to wear a little rat cone around her neck lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 07-09-2013 12:17 AM

I told my son that I would pay ONCE for the surgery, because I wanted to demonstrate to him the responsibilities of pet ownership. But, I made it clear to him I could not afford it twice, and when, as the vet said they would, the tumors came back, we let her live as long as she could move around and had quality of life, then we took her to the vet to be euthanized. I realize, this is a RAT we are talking about, but it was more symbolic. And, they have personalities and actually very nice pets. Ours were darlings, but tumors shortened their normally 4 year lives to about 2.5 years.

OutOfTheLoop 07-09-2013 01:15 AM

That's about how I feel. One of the main reasons I want to keep her alive a little longer is because I don't want Alice ( her cell mate) to be alone. It is just a rat, but it has a place and a purpose in our house. And they defiantly have personalities!
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 07-09-2013 02:13 AM

that tumor is still small, so you can wait for awhile to make any decision.