The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Another question about field spraying. (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/another-question-about-field-spraying-229097/)

horsecrazygirl13 07-08-2013 10:35 PM

Another question about field spraying.
 
Hi I know I have already asked a question about farmers spraying their fields and horses. but I have another one. my horse's drylot and pasture is 50 ft(if you include a ditch) from the farmer's field. I was wondering, if I plant some trees densly between the field and my horse's drylot, would that prevent any spray drift from coming into it? I mean, so my horse wouldnt inhale anything? I have talked to the farmer,like everyone suggested in my other thread, and he's just spraying roundup this year. Isnt inhaling the stuff still bad? would having a dense row of trees/shrubs help?
Thanks.

Taffy Clayton 07-08-2013 11:41 PM

Yes it will help a lot. Farmers spray round up pretty close to the ground, they do not want to waste any. You might be over worrying though.
When I spray my fruit trees, and they are next to my neighbors horses, I always spray when there is no wind or the wind is blowing away from the horses.

horsecrazygirl13 07-09-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton (Post 3005961)
Yes it will help a lot. Farmers spray round up pretty close to the ground, they do not want to waste any. You might be over worrying though.
When I spray my fruit trees, and they are next to my neighbors horses, I always spray when there is no wind or the wind is blowing away from the horses.

Great! Thanks. most of the pasture is bordered with a "belt" of trees about 50ft wide with shrubs in between so you can hardly see through. it's just the drylot part that has only a few large trees between it and the field. I want to be able to turn my horse out there whenever I want with out having to worry about him inhaling the spray.

PaintHorseMares 07-09-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton (Post 3005961)
Yes it will help a lot. Farmers spray round up pretty close to the ground, they do not want to waste any. You might be over worrying though.
When I spray my fruit trees, and they are next to my neighbors horses, I always spray when there is no wind or the wind is blowing away from the horses.

Yes. The farmer that leases the land next to us sprays very low and not on windy days. The field is only 3' from our pasture and it doesn't affect our grass/horses at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

horsecrazygirl13 07-09-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 3009153)
Yes. The farmer that leases the land next to us sprays very low and not on windy days. The field is only 3' from our pasture and it doesn't affect our grass/horses at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

The farmer next to us sprays with a plane a few times a year. That's my concern because-- they dont fly all that close to the ground. And my horse would probably get as close as he can to watch. He's always so curious! That's what he did when the farmer across the road sprayed his field. I came to get him from the pasture and found him watching the tractor in the field.

Taffy Clayton 07-09-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsecrazygirl13 (Post 3009401)
The farmer next to us sprays with a plane a few times a year. That's my concern because-- they dont fly all that close to the ground. And my horse would probably get as close as he can to watch. He's always so curious! That's what he did when the farmer across the road sprayed his field. I came to get him from the pasture and found him watching the tractor in the field.


I didn't think of aerial spraying, I wouldn't like that either.

horsecrazygirl13 07-09-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton (Post 3011281)
I didn't think of aerial spraying, I wouldn't like that either.

Would the trees still keep the drift from aerial spraying away from my horse?

jaydee 07-09-2013 03:58 PM

There are very strict rules about aerial spraying and proximity to other peoples property. You have a right to ask what they're spraying if there is any chance it might drift onto your paddocks or property in general and they should give you the details of the technical people from the manufacturers of the product so they can give you any advice you need and they will also speak to the farmer if there's a chance they might be breaking rules and not using their product correctly - these companies do not want law suits on their hands - NEVER rely on the farmer using the product to it for you.
Its unlikely that they're spraying something like Roundup though. Its an extremely safe chemical but no farmer would be using it on weeds in grassland or crops - as it will also kill the grass and crop.

Taffy Clayton 07-09-2013 04:02 PM

Yes, The pilot is trying to get the chemical on the plants so he wants to spray when wind and humidity conditions are best for no over spray. So as the chemical falls it might drift your way and the landscape windbreak will stop any over spray that comes your way, as long as it is lower than the trees/shrubs of course.

horsecrazygirl13 07-09-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydee (Post 3011721)
There are very strict rules about aerial spraying and proximity to other peoples property. You have a right to ask what they're spraying if there is any chance it might drift onto your paddocks or property in general and they should give you the details of the technical people from the manufacturers of the product so they can give you any advice you need and they will also speak to the farmer if there's a chance they might be breaking rules and not using their product correctly - these companies do not want law suits on their hands - NEVER rely on the farmer using the product to it for you.
Its unlikely that they're spraying something like Roundup though. Its an extremely safe chemical but no farmer would be using it on weeds in grassland or crops - as it will also kill the grass and crop.

the farmer said it's stuff that just kills the weeds and he DID say it was roundup.:?
The trees are about 25 ft high so I think it should keep the drift away. My horse is on the ground so if it is that high, wouldnt the wind blow it away before it got to my horse?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0