The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   First dressage lesson this saturday! (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/first-dressage-lesson-saturday-229161/)

MightyApollo 07-09-2013 12:57 AM

First dressage lesson this saturday!

I'm super excited! I've been riding hunter/jumpers for 6 years, and I'm fairly good for the level I ride at but I really feel like my deeper knowledge of seat aids, lateral movement and the training pyramid(how to achieve suppleness/impulsion/etc), is lacking.
So I have an evaluation ride scheduled with a local dressage trainer this Saturday and I'm going to be doing some private and semi private lessons with him if all goes well.
I'm really hoping to build a deeper understanding of flat work not just to improve my jumping courses but also just to improve my ability to school horses effectively in general.
Any advice you guys have to offer of what to expect of how to really get the most from my lessons would be awesome! I know it's going to be a whole new experience from my hunt seat lessons.

Skyseternalangel 07-09-2013 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyApollo (Post 3006681)
I'm super excited! I've been riding hunter/jumpers for 6 years, and I'm fairly good for the level I ride at but I really feel like my deeper knowledge of seat aids, lateral movement and the training pyramid(how to achieve suppleness/impulsion/etc), is lacking.
So I have an evaluation ride scheduled with a local dressage trainer this Saturday and I'm going to be doing some private and semi private lessons with him if all goes well.
I'm really hoping to build a deeper understanding of flat work not just to improve my jumping courses but also just to improve my ability to school horses effectively in general.
Any advice you guys have to offer of what to expect of how to really get the most from my lessons would be awesome! I know it's going to be a whole new experience from my hunt seat lessons.

It will be a HUGE wakeup call. At least it was for me when I took my first legit Dressage lesson.

Keep an open mind, and ask questions about what a particular cue consists of.. or why it works the way it does.

I hope you have fun :)