The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Mare #2 (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/mare-2-a-229337/)

Starlite 07-09-2013 11:46 AM

Mare #2

3 Attachment(s)
I have resigned myself to the fact that with my budget constraints I am either going to have to go with an older WB, or with OTTB. Both options pose their individual challenges. We all know great horses come off the track - but sometimes the search for a nice one feels like trying to find a needle - in Nebraska.

This mare is cute I think. 4 years old, 16.1. Sound (but will be fully vetted of course prior to purchase). Something about her right leg looks funny to me. Would love your thoughts.

FlyGap 07-09-2013 11:51 AM

28 Attachment(s)
I really like her.
Maybe she's standing funny? Wish she had a tad more bone but looks lovely and exceptionally well cared for. Nice back and lovely shoulder!
Posted via Mobile Device

Elana 07-09-2013 12:36 PM

She is nice but she is sickle hocked. That is what is "funny" about her hind leg. They don't quite fit under her correctly.

It is hard to find good horses with correct conformation for dressage. You want low knees and hocks, laid back shoulder, excellent neck tie in, short back, smooth topline and really large roomy hocks.

The hind leg is very important if you are going to higher levels as the horse shifts his weight rearward and bends his hocks as well as places his weight on them. A laid back shoulder allows for flashy extensions...

Starlite 07-09-2013 02:32 PM

Thanks for your responses. Elana, do you think what you are seeing in terms of her being sickle hocked is due to the way she is standing? Her back outside leg appears to be correct, where the inside rear leg appears sickle hocked..but I am wondering if that is because she isn't standing square. I am horrid with confirmation, so you may be correct I am just trying to see what you see. :)

Elana 07-09-2013 03:48 PM

She appears sickle hocked even in the photo of her hind legs. In fact she also appears bow legged...

jaydee 07-09-2013 04:05 PM

I've gone back and forth over them as not sure if its how she's standing or not - really nice sort of horse
She does look to be a bit sickle hocked - have you checked for any signs of curbs or spavins? They tend to be more prone to developing those sort of faults
Really nice looking horse otherwise.

Starlite 07-10-2013 09:16 AM

The verdict is in. I sent pics over to my trainer. I guess because the filly is quite cute, a well know X-country trainer already went and viewed her. My trainer spoke to him and apparently she is a terrible mover. Also, my trainer went on to tell me OTTB's are NOT a suitable match for me because my seat is too "hot"..:oops: and I am a "right-now" kind of rider, and expect perfection.. without enough patience for a young horse :oops::oops: at least she doesn't hold anything back heheh

The hunt continues.

Elana 07-10-2013 09:48 AM

and older, sound, warmblood would work. Many work well into their 20's. IME Thoroughbreds do not tend to be as long lived as Warmbloods.

Of course there are exceptions to everything.

jaydee 07-10-2013 10:40 AM

We've had a couple of OTTB's that needed a hot seated rider - they aren't all whizz bang and high strung
The son of Nijinsky my DH had was as laid back as they come, I could never figure out that he could even be bothered to leave the starting gate
Our Clyde x arab is the least forgiving horse I've ever owned. She has to be ridden SO quietly and considerately and if you try to rush her into grasping things she goes straight into meltdown
Our WB X TB is just amazing and the way she's tolerating my husbands often clumsy and confusing (to her) venture into dressage is worthy of a gold medal

Starlite 07-10-2013 10:50 AM

Of course there are exceptions to every rule. My beloved gelding that I sold (like a MORON) was 19, gorgeous, and SOUND...and nobody ever believed he was an OTTB. He was big and thick-boned - had tons of shwung and a kind heart and mind. I miss him dearly. :cry: Here is a thread from a couple of years ago when I still owned him: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-ridi...request-93426/

Anyhoo...my trainer (with knowledge of my goals) is pretty adamant about my avoiding a younger horse straight off the track. Which I am fine with. What stinks is that a decent WB with 3rd level training is upward of $30,000 - and that is "cheap". ugh. I should have married for money. :wink::lol::lol: