The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   I need some tips/explaining.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/i-need-some-tips-explaining-2294/)

joseylovesrain123 06-19-2007 04:51 PM

I need some tips/explaining....

I'm not too sure where to put this post but i think this is a good spot.

ok so i love to read horse books of all sorts, and latly i've been reading books on being a better rider and how to properly traina horse.
in these books some things don't agree and i need some big help since i don't have a riding instructor at the moment.
when the books tell you how to make a "perfect circle" one will say :
"if making a turn to the right place your right leg behind the girth and your left leg on/infront of the girth."

and the other book will say:
"If making a turn to the right place your right leg on/infront on the girth and your left leg behind the girth."

please give me some judgment on how to make a perfect/decent circle.

another question i have is when a book talks about jumping releses *spelling?* I dont seem to understand how to do them so could someone help me with this also?

Thank you for reading and commenting in advance :D

p.s.: sorry about my spelling i've never been great at it. :lol:

Dave Singleton 06-19-2007 06:22 PM

If you are turning to the right then your left leg should be on or infront of the girth with your right leg behind the girth. To be honest it is more a question of body weight though where your body weight should be more concentrated in order to keep the horse in balance on the turn - this very much depends on the speed you are going and how tight the turn is and it is here that you will find differences of opinion!
Many people argue that you should concentrate body weight onto the inside of the curve (if turning right, body weight to the right) as this indicates to the horse that this is the preferred direction of travel. However, others argue that if this is done to a larger extent (particularly at speed) then it will only serve to unbalance the horse and therefore you should lean more to the outside of the bend.
Practically I think it is more of an equillibrium between the two - this can't really be read in a book but can only come through experience - what feels right at different speeds, angles etc.

joseylovesrain123 07-18-2007 10:29 AM

thanks.
so then it doesnt matter where i put my leg, but it matters where i but my weight?

Haflinger 07-18-2007 10:54 AM

In addition to that you have to do what helps the horse to be able to go a good circle, you may have to adjust your legs, to bend the horse,
that depends on the level he is able to go a circle, you want your nose inward and the hinds, too.

i bet one of your books gives you this one illustrated from a bird view!

the insidle leg schould get the horse to bend, this is why the leg needs be at the girth and the outsideleg behind the girth so this leg can give guidance on how far out the horse is suppesed to go.

i typically have my weight on the inside of the cirkle just lightly.
my rains: the inside rain should get your horse to bend inwards, but the outside rain should give contact.

can your horse tilt his head in either direction on a straight line without braking out?

joseylovesrain123 07-18-2007 11:07 AM

not sure i have to try that today and i'll post the results.

could someone please tell me what/how to do jumping releases. everyone tells me i need to releas over jumps but i dont know how.

i'm still in search of a trainer and i probably wont try the jumping releases yet until i find one, unless you think it is ok to.

please help.

Sara 07-18-2007 02:02 PM

Ha, finally found one.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/bielikov/...es/D-04-06.gif

kristy 07-18-2007 06:11 PM

Ohh, good picture Sara.

joseylovesrain123 07-19-2007 06:42 PM

kool thanx, any tips on the jumping release?

Sara 07-19-2007 07:40 PM

I wouldn't tackle jumping without an instructor/trainer, especially if both you and your horse are new to it. In my opinion, start practicing riding in 2-point; when you do find someone to help you with jumping, you'll already have a solid start on your balance (and the leg muscle) it takes for successful jumping. For caveletti and small crossrails, you barely need a release at all, just ease your reins up his neck a bit, maybe a few inches.

desperate horsewife 07-19-2007 11:38 PM

You know the key to a good circle? Beyond leg positioning, that is? Look to see where you're going. Look way out to the other side of your circle, and the rest of you will just follow along. Seriously, give it a try.