The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Yearly/monthly costs of owning a horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/yearly-monthly-costs-owning-horse-22945/)

Equuestriaan 02-19-2009 02:29 PM

Yearly/monthly costs of owning a horse?

I'm trying to figure out how much it costs to own a horse. So I've made a list of all the expenses I can think of off the top of my head. If anyone could tell me about how much these things cost, and how often you would need to pay for them, that would be great!

Farrier
Vet
Board
Monthly Feed
Tack
Insurance
Trailer
Hay
Blankets/Sheets
Bedding

What else is there that I'm missing?
Thanks in advance!

TwendeHaraka 02-19-2009 03:00 PM

Here's what I pay for these. Of course, it will differ depending on where you live and what/who you use.

Farrier-$60 for resets and $10 for new shoes. We use an Amish man who is excellent, but his prices are cheaper than most others. Around here, you'll find it to usually be around $100+ - every 6 to 8 weeks.

Vet-$25 for the barn call, plus whatever else he does. When need be.

Board-$350/month

Monthly Feed-I'm pretty sure a bag of feed is $16 for what I use. I'm not sure how many bags we go through a month.

Tack-I've gotten it at different times. English saddle-$799 including a pad, stirrups, cover, and bag. Bit-found on eBay for $7, originally a lot more than that. Bridle-mine was a Christmas present, so 'm not sure.

Insurance-N/A

Trailer-I'm looking to buy one that is about $1500.

Hay-My BO grows his own.

Blankets/Sheets-new, can be very expensive. I found my sheet for $25 and I don't have a winter blanket. Buy when needed.

Bedding-about $5 a bag around here.

I got a job as soon as I turned 16 to help my parents pay for it, and a majority of it I do pay for.

again, prices depend on where you live.

Hope this helped. (:

Angel_Leaguer 02-19-2009 04:55 PM

Farrier- I pay $40 for a trim and not sure what shoes cost but usually $100+

Vet- a farm call is $40 (regular hours) and $80 (for emergencies and off hours) plus whatever service you need (each vet is different for farm calls). A coggins test can range from $15-$30 bucks and then you have your typical shots you give- which can add up (call your vet for pricing)

Board- im lucky and only pay $200 for a stall/turnout board... but depending on what you want Ive seen it range from $150-$500+.... you would need to check out your arena

Monthly Feed- that is included in my board but a bag a feed typically is around $15 for 50# bag

Tack- depends on "show" tack or normal everyday stuff. A noce trail saddle can be picked up around $400+... but dont go cheap quality because it can hurt your horse. A nice bridle with reins is around $50 and a bit depends what type you get

Trailer- this again is based on what you want/need. A good ole used stock type trailer is anywheres from $2500 and lower... horse trailers tend to run more (depending on year, shape of the trailer etc...) You can pick up a nice used BP trailer though for around
$4500 (just depends on what you want...)

Hay- Right now a average square bale (nice grass mix) is about 3-4 bucks a bale

Blankets/Sheets- fly sheet around $30+, turnout $50+, winter blankets around 100+... all depends on brand and quality

Bedding- included in my board but around 5 bucks a bag

there are always more expenses that tend to pop up but you have the basics down...

Equuestriaan 02-19-2009 04:58 PM

Thanks so much! That was very thorough and helpful! I might be getting a horse once I have my driver's license (I'm only 15 now). Also, is a square bale really square? Or is it rectangular?

Spastic_Dove 02-19-2009 05:14 PM

http://www.redroosterfarm.com/assets/images/haybale.jpgSquare bale :)

Farrier: $35 every 6-8 weeks. He doesn't wear shoes. I trimmed him last week and it was only $25 because he wasn't too long.

Vet: Farm call is $30. Vaccinations usually run about $100 for a 5 way. Teeth are $100. Leg inspection which I just had done was $80 Sheath Cleaning was $25

Board: $165 a month. Includes turn out, comes in at night to a pen, roundpen, indoor, and feeding

Monthly feed: Is in my board. But I feed strategy at $15 a bag. I have no idea what hay would factor into as I didn't buy it. Last time I bought two ton of hay it was about $90 Plus treats :) so about $10

Tack: Havent bought in awhile. My english saddle was $150 but its horrible quality. My western saddle i have had for like 5 years and it was $500. I won my headstall and breast collar. Also won my grooming tote

Trailer: MIne was a gift but now my dad uses it for his construction company. I trailer with one of the girls I board with and pay half the gas.

Blanket: $75 for my light one. $150 for my heavier one. $25 everytime i need to get them patched

Bedding: About $5 a bag.
Dewormer is about $15 a tube.

Hoofprints in the Sand 02-19-2009 08:14 PM

I've read that it costs around $5k minimum/year to maintain a horse (that's just the basics - board (food/water/shelter), routine vet/dental care, farrier)...I got Sandie 4 months ago and so far, she's already cost me over $4k! ;-) But that's because I had to buy all the tack, blankets, etc. she needs, and we ran into a couple unexpected vet bills too! Bottom line, be willing to spend a good few thousand up front at LEAST and then another $5k each year just to keep the horse....SO worth it though!

And yes, it will vary depending on where you live, whether you will board or keep at your own place, etc.

Skyhuntress 02-19-2009 09:23 PM

I try not to think of it too often :D
But here's my breakdown for one competition horse that is boarded

Farrier - $90 every 6 weeks, as he has front shoes (so we'll say about $650 for the year)
Vet - he gets his coggins and vaccinations, it works out to be about $200 in total for the year. teeth are about another $100
Board is $425 a month so $5100 a year
Monthly Feed he has his hay included, but I give him extra, and it works out to be about $30 a month, so $360
Tack - is generally a one time expence, so don't include that for your list.
Insurance - I pay $200 a year for him
Trailer - same as tack
Hay - included in board
Blankets/Sheets - hah, yes, well I have a little obsession with that. he generally gets at least one new blanket a year, so budget $200
Bedding - he's not inside.

So, for him to be boarded in pasture, and assuming nothing bad happens, I'm looking at about $7000 a year to keep him.
That's depressing *sigh/

peanut 02-20-2009 09:36 AM

I just dont think about it and it keeps me happy lol:-P

Hoofprints in the Sand 02-20-2009 11:18 AM

Good call peanut! ;-)

My2Geldings 02-21-2009 02:27 AM

Horse: don't forget the actual cost of the horse.
Farrier - 40.00 every 8 weeks. Cobalt has excellent feet that don't actually grow very fast. I keep him barefoot
Vet - Never had to come out other than to geld him and sign some insurance paper work so the cost of that will vary depending on what he is coming for.
Board: 420.00/month
Monthly Feed: I have him on supplements specialized for foals which is only actually gets a couple times a week.
Tack - depends what you are willing to spend. I own 2 saddles. One was $2,500 and the other $4,000
Insurance - 250.00
Trailer - My trailer was $14,000 but it's huge and it was new. Depends on what you are willing to spend
Hay - part of the board
Blankets/Sheets - Well it depends. Cobalt only owns 1 cooler at the moment because he is in the middle of growing but he currently is wearing about 450.00 worth of blanket and hood for his neck.
Bedding - No need, he lives outside.

Treats: I spend about 50.00-100.00/month on treats
Various: halter, buckets, lead rope, saddle pad...there are always extra little things you end up buying you don't necessarely need :lol:

Grand total: I refuse to do the math and I actually find out.