The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Purina Enrich 12--Can I Add Supplements... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/purina-enrich-12-can-i-add-22949/)

mojo7777 02-19-2009 03:15 PM

Purina Enrich 12--Can I Add Supplements...

...specifically Dumor Joint and Omega Horseshine?

Peggysue 02-20-2009 06:54 AM

both of those should be safe with the Enrich12...

on the joint it is prob cheaper to buy MSM, Glus and HC and supplement them separate ;)

Omega Horsehsine is basically flax seed same thing there buy a bag of flax and use it :)

mojo7777 02-20-2009 10:28 AM

Double Vitamins?

Thanks Peggysue, I was hoping you would weigh in. The Horseshine has added vitamins--B-6, Niacin, calcium, zinc, etc. If these are repeated in the Enrich 12, will it be too much?

mls 02-20-2009 10:34 AM

Your best bet is to talk to your vet and hay supplier to see what your horse needs. Over supplementing can cause as many, if not more issues than not supplementing at all.

Peggysue 02-20-2009 02:27 PM

I have been super busy today working on some donations for a horse at U of I bear with me and let me run some numbers the best I can without hay analysis :)

starlinestables 02-20-2009 04:44 PM

Over supplementing is a huge waste of money. What is your horse's main diet? Chances are your horse doesn't need supplementing... Basically they will just pee out the excess unless they are fat soluable vitamins in which case you could run into trouble (low risk but could happen). Also you could through off your calcium phosphorus ratio and that could cause all sorts of issues.

Can I ask why you are supplementing?

luvs2ride1979 02-20-2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 255337)
Your best bet is to talk to your vet and hay supplier to see what your horse needs. Over supplementing can cause as many, if not more issues than not supplementing at all.

Most vets don't know diddly about horse nutrition, except what the feed reps tell them. Equine Nutrition is only a 1 semester course in vet school, and things have likely changes since then, lol.

To the OP: Enrich is on the low end of nutrient requirements and Omega Horseshine doesn't have high quantities of anything, so you should be fine feeding them together.

luvs2ride1979 02-20-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starlinestables (Post 255557)
Over supplementing is a huge waste of money. What is your horse's main diet? Chances are your horse doesn't need supplementing... Basically they will just pee out the excess unless they are fat soluable vitamins in which case you could run into trouble (low risk but could happen). Also you could through off your calcium phosphorus ratio and that could cause all sorts of issues.

Can I ask why you are supplementing?

One of the supplements she posted is a joint supplements. If her horse is showing signs of joint discomfort, then just changing that diet isn't going to fix that...

mojo7777 02-20-2009 07:08 PM

Hi--Thanks for the input everybody. Good points all around. I'm supplementing because my horse is such an easy keeper (which is unusual because he is a TB) that he is basically living on hay and grass alone, and I want to be sure he is getting his full compliment of nutrition. (It is mostly grass hay, with a flake of alfalfa mix once a day.) He gets the joint supplement because he raced and is now ten yrs. old--more as a preventative. The Horseshine is for his hooves and coat and general benefits of Omega-3. He is a perfect weight now, but I like the idea of the Enrich 12.

MagnoliaBar 02-20-2009 07:39 PM

I would go ahead and put him on source if you want something for his coat and hoofs. You can't beat the stuff, its the best on the market today for what it does.