The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Riding lessons... (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/riding-lessons-22957/)

totallytackful 02-19-2009 07:08 PM

Riding lessons...

I am starting to give riding lessons in gaming. We have done the basics, as far as bending, flexing, circles, stright lines, patterns.. the list gets hefty! I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or things that they do to make things fun, and more interesting? Next lesson I am going to work with one of my girls on sitting a trot. I am putting her on my super huge bouncy trot appy on a lunge line. I am having her balence with her arms out and such. Any ideas? Even if you are an english person, or plesure, what fun things do you do to help teach your lesson kids? Anything helps!! (most of my lesson kids are young, and just starting, so I am trying to keep them as interested as I can) THANKS!!

ilovestitch 02-20-2009 04:17 PM

um some of these or off the lounge line but here are just some ideas

"Let me guess what transition you are going to make each time you move through the centre line" (on a figure of 8).

Having them try to draw letters while riding or spell out words for circles and directional changes.

Taffic lights - red = stop/stand, amber = walk and green = trot/canter.The instructor stand in the middle and shouts out colors

you sing the ryhme when the pony is in trot and when you sing "he marched them up to the top of the hill and he marched them down again" they have to stand up and down as if they were marching and then when you say "when they were up they were up" they have to stand in the stirrups and "when they were down they were down"-sitting trot, "and when they were only half way up"- jumping position, "they were neither up nor down"- quickly go up then down.

makin tracks 02-20-2009 06:48 PM

Most of mine are still on lead line so we play things like simon says and follow the leader which incorporates bending poles and poles on the ground.

I also set up little course where they have to ride between two poles on the ground, stop at a given place, turn right, turn left, zig zag between poles. Basically an obstacle course.

Also do exercises like touching the poll/tail with one hand, or doing windmills with one arm, rotating ankles and swinging legs all without changing their position in the saddle (as in teaching them to keep their seat and legs stable whilst they move their arms etc)

totallytackful 02-21-2009 01:19 PM

thanks!

Thanks, I never even thought of those things! Wow, this lesson should be fun :) She also goes off the lunge line, but my barrel horse is a bit bumpy at the trot, its hard to sit for a kid thats learning! He doesnt lunge, thats why she is going on my other horse :) Thanks again, keep um coming!!