The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Legs falling asleep while riding??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/legs-falling-asleep-while-riding-229609/)

RiverBelle 07-09-2013 04:16 PM

Legs falling asleep while riding???
 
Hi there! I have been riding off and on for most of my life. I had always rode in one saddle and it was a bit too big and the stirrups a bit too long, but I did okay in it for the time being. When I had to chance to get a new saddle, I took it. I have had my saddle I currently ride in for about 6 years. It fits my butt better, it fits my legs better, and it fits my horse which is a plus. All around, it's a great saddle.

But after I started riding in this new saddle, my feet begin to fall asleep after the first... 10 minutes of riding? I have the ball of my foot on the stirrup, and my heels down (like I always have.) I don't push down really hard on my stirrups and I don't push out. My trainer when I was taking lessons always praised me on my leg placement. So does anyone know why my legs are falling asleep while I ride?

I don't currently have pictures of me riding/leg placement/ etc but if needed I can get some tomorrow. Thanks!!

Saddlebag 07-09-2013 05:46 PM

I'm wondering if you're pressing on nerves/blood supply in the bottom of your feet? What about footwear? Are they too tight in the ankle area?

Boo Walker 07-09-2013 06:13 PM

Is the saddle broken in / stirrup leathers turned? My husband rides in the wider trail stirrups with the Cashel brand stirrup turners and his knees and ankles stay comfortable and no more tingly legs!

Skyseternalangel 07-09-2013 06:30 PM

Western or English?

RiverBelle 07-10-2013 12:40 AM

I ride western, always have.

The stirrups and fenders are well broke in, so they shouldn't be turning my feet or anything like that. I thought of that a while back so I made a point to turn my stirrups and make sure they weren't stiff.

My boots that I wear are actually a bit too big. They are loose on my ankles, so I wouldn't think that was it.... But who knows, lol!

Skyseternalangel 07-10-2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverBelle (Post 3017705)
I ride western, always have.

The stirrups and fenders are well broke in, so they shouldn't be turning my feet or anything like that. I thought of that a while back so I made a point to turn my stirrups and make sure they weren't stiff.

My boots that I wear are actually a bit too big. They are loose on my ankles, so I wouldn't think that was it.... But who knows, lol!

It could be the seat of the saddle. If it's at a weird angle or width it could be cutting off some of your circulation.

RiverBelle 07-10-2013 06:10 PM

I never thought that the seat of the saddle might be hurting me. I know I feel a little pressure on my upper thighs when riding but I thought it was just because I haven't rode for a while. Who would I need to talk to about my saddle fit? My local saddle/tack shop is owned by a old man who believes that if you can sit in it, you can ride in it.. so I wouldn't ask him for help, lol.

Skyseternalangel 07-11-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverBelle (Post 3022850)
I never thought that the seat of the saddle might be hurting me. I know I feel a little pressure on my upper thighs when riding but I thought it was just because I haven't rode for a while. Who would I need to talk to about my saddle fit? My local saddle/tack shop is owned by a old man who believes that if you can sit in it, you can ride in it.. so I wouldn't ask him for help, lol.

I'd see if there is a way to find a saddle evaluator in your area, because as the adage goes..not only must a saddle fit your horse, but also the rider! And with good reason.

Just so you know, I've never felt any pressure on my upper thighs from riding.. lower yes but that was after I got off of the horse.. so that could be an indicator of a poor fit.

Josh 07-11-2013 04:52 PM

I have the exact same issue. I find a saddle with no padding seems to help me most. I also have had issues with my nerve causing pain in my right leg. Also, stirrup length can cause issues. I just kept switching saddles until I found one that works.

wild old thing 07-13-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 3017761)
It could be the seat of the saddle. If it's at a weird angle or width it could be cutting off some of your circulation.

That was the first thing that came to mind - the saddle. If it fits TOO well, it could be cutting into the back of your thighs and you wouldn't notice it because it might not hurt.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0