The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   First ride lots of pics =) (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/first-ride-lots-pics-%3D-22965/)

belgianlover 02-19-2009 09:09 PM

First ride lots of pics =)

8 Attachment(s)
Today was bens first time all set up, the only thing i dont have yet is reins, so we comprimised with that. Other than that the new girth, and bridle fit him great. Like i said today was the first time in over 3 years he has had a rider on him. our only problem was he wont go. I think he dont remember what we are asking him to do, and if you kick him too much he stomps his back feet. Other than that he did fine, it took awhile but he finally would take a few steps with just the clucking noise and no heels. Any advise on how to get him to go? Im so happy it felt great to get on him.
Attachment 4289

Attachment 4290

Attachment 4291

Attachment 4292

Attachment 4293

Attachment 4294

Attachment 4295

Attachment 4296

LacyLove 02-19-2009 09:18 PM

hes adorable! i guess maybe walking him in hand and encouraging him to go, and then get on him with someone on the ground at the same time leading him. but you giving him little kicks and clicks so he knows he is supposed to move when you do that. =]

english_rider144 02-19-2009 09:29 PM

i'd put him on a lunge line and have a rider on him and have him walk a little. and then use the commands you want so he goes. God hes gorgeous =]

danastark 02-19-2009 10:00 PM

Hurrah!! That first ride is always so magical! Looks like you need a new girth already! When we started riding Cody, we had taught him to respond to voice commands while lunging so he went forward with "walk, trot" and we also had someone lead him. Have fun!!

belgianlover 02-19-2009 10:27 PM

danastark why do you say i need a new girth already? I just got this one today and thought it fit. Im still new at this wheres it suppose to be? Oh today as you can see i had my friend with me, when we first started off i was walking him and she was on him we did it quite a bit and finally she wanted to see what he would so, but when i was on him she was walking with him just not holding his lead rope, he did start to pick up on what we wanted so im hoping with lots of work it will all come back. Heck for over the past 3 years hes been worked by the amish lol thanks everyone. Im very proud of my boy.

danastark 02-19-2009 11:36 PM

I just noticed that at least on the one side, you are on the last hole and I prefer to have room for adjustment. It can be hard to find tack to fit these big guys, huh? I got lucky and finally found some extra long reins at a local consignment store after looking for over a year for something that didn't cost $100.

xilikeggs0 02-20-2009 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danastark (Post 255144)
I just noticed that at least on the one side, you are on the last hole and I prefer to have room for adjustment. It can be hard to find tack to fit these big guys, huh? I got lucky and finally found some extra long reins at a local consignment store after looking for over a year for something that didn't cost $100.

If you ride english, I just got this bridle from Jeffer's for $42 including shipping. It fit my Percheron/TB mare with plenty of room to spare, and I think the reins are about 6' each.

CheyAut 02-20-2009 07:04 AM

What were the amish using him for? If driving, he probably knows voice commands?

belgianlover 02-20-2009 09:05 AM

they used him for working, not sure what his voice commands would be i might have to go ask the guy.

fireinthedisco 02-20-2009 11:01 PM

Such a cute fluffy big teddy bear!