The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Confused about pinworms in my horse! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/confused-about-pinworms-my-horse-229713/)

Jh1598 07-09-2013 08:05 PM

Confused about pinworms in my horse!

So, for deworming our horses, we give dewormer paste at regular intervals, rotating through the year. A couple weeks ago, as usual, we gave both of our horses the dewormer. Five days later, I saw the actual worms in Charlie's poo, two live pinworms. The vet came and suggested we get a fecal exam done. We got our results for that today-- and it was negative! So they're saying there are no worms. Is it possible for the worms to just die out?? Or am I missing something? :? I will talk to my vet as soon as I can, but I'm just looking for some other advice/opinions.?
Thanks.

egrogan 07-09-2013 08:41 PM

I'm on my phone so can't post the link right now, but search on here for a thread called "worm woes."

I had a nasty bout of pinworms in my mare last year. They won't show in a fecal. Not all dewormers will get them. If you can pick an adult worm and bring to your vet, they should be able to visually confirm you have pinworms.

You should talk with your vet, but I decided to use Panacur Powerpac (not the same as regular Panacur) for my mare, and that cleared her up. I also did a thorough scrub/disinfect of her stall at the same time, as she was rubbing her tail like mad in anything she could reach in her stall. Poor girl, still makes me cringe thinking about those nasty things crawling out if her...

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jh1598 07-10-2013 10:43 AM

Very helpful! Thank you! Your "worm woes" situation fits almost exactly with Charlie. Looks like a hay belly, but the vet told me it's probably worms...

egrogan 07-10-2013 12:26 PM

Glad to help- hope you get Charlie cleared up soon!