The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Planning Summer Camp, ideas please! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/planning-summer-camp-ideas-please-22975/)

kerplop 02-20-2009 12:24 AM

Planning Summer Camp, ideas please!

Hey everyone,
I'm second in command this year for my barn's summer camp, and I need some help brain storming for ideas regarding art projects and fun games to play on horseback for beginners and horse games for campers. So far I have...

ART PROJECT IDEAS;
-decorating horse shoes
-horsetail bookmarks
-horse themed door-hangers
-horse themed picture frames (and on the last day of camp we'll give each kid a picture of them and their horse)
-horse coloring pages
-horse themed window decorations (the plastic mock stained glass ones)

GAMES ON HORSEBACK;
-red light green light
-ride a buck
-spoon and egg race (a ping pong ball would be neater)

HORSE RELATED GAMES; (educational and/or fun)
-who can put together the bridle the fastest

Umm yeahh. ;P My creative energies stopped flowing at that last bullet point. Anyone? I know everyone on this board must have extensive experience with summer camps, whether you were apart of one or managed one! Thanks!

Spastic_Dove 02-20-2009 12:29 AM

Painting standards? Catalog race? Costume show? best turned out horse? Maybe something where you have two teams and the parts of the horse on sticky notes (or something that would stick to the horses) and see who can get all the parts on the correct part of the horse quickest
Horse show? Carrot Trail (or whatever it's called)

bgood400 02-20-2009 04:22 PM

if you have a light colored horse you could have the kids mark with paint where the parts of the horse are. After the activity you can just let them have fun painting the horse, and then of coarse have THEM wash the horse so you dont have to =]

My2Geldings 02-20-2009 04:25 PM

Years ago I know our local pony club went to the local tack store and bought supplies to make toy sized horse jumps. Easy to make and a lot of fun for the kids.

english_rider144 02-20-2009 04:53 PM

we would pain on the horses actual hooves and have them place a piece of paper on it and then they had a forever part of the horses that they used.

kerplop 02-23-2009 06:12 PM

Great ideas! I'll put them on the list!

Anyone else have suggestions?