The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   The joys of being a horse owner.... what could it be?? ***GRAPHIC*** (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/joys-being-horse-owner-what-could-229769/)

Cowgirl140ty 07-09-2013 09:57 PM

The joys of being a horse owner.... what could it be?? ***GRAPHIC***

7 Attachment(s)
So.... about 6 weeks ago my gelding came up with a lump on his chest
. Had the vet out, ultrasounded it. It looked like a hematoma on the ultrasound. So she tried to pull fluid... but very little blood came out. So we treated it like a kick. Bute 2x a day. Butecort on the swelling twice a day. After 2 weeks there was no change. So we stopped treatment to see if anything would develope. Finally saturday.... it swelled from the size of a baseball to a cantelope. So I called my vet and we scheduled another ultrasound ladt monday. We could see it was definetly fluid in it now.... so we lanced it.... and this is what we have. We sent it off to be cultured. So I will have an answer in a few days. He is back on bute 2x a day for pain and swelling, flushing it 3x a day and keeping swat around it. And he is on stall rest for awhile! The things our horses get themselves into!

This is how swollen it was Monday before the vet came.
Attachment 227769

Attachment 227777

This it what came out!
Attachment 227785

Attachment 227793

You can see all the puss that came out on the towel!
Attachment 227801

Attachment 227809

Attachment 227817

FlyGap 07-09-2013 10:08 PM

28 Attachment(s)
WOW that's a doozie!

My mare had one about half that big on her belly, made me nesous when they drained it. Ewwww!
Posted via Mobile Device

natisha 07-09-2013 10:14 PM

I'll bet he'll feel much better! I love draining abscesses.
Do you get Pigeon fever in Florida?

SlideStop 07-09-2013 10:16 PM

Wow... That puts that viral video "worlds biggest zit" to shame!
Posted via Mobile Device

Paintlover1965 07-09-2013 10:18 PM

Poor guy! He'll be better now that it's drained. My friend's QH had the same thing happen to him a few years back. We never knew the cause of the abscess but we thought it was due to a kick. We took him to the vet and my friend almost fainted when the vet excised the wound and drained it. It's funny to think back now but at the time it was worrisome for her. Hope your guy is feeling better soon.

Cowgirl140ty 07-09-2013 10:30 PM

Yea.... hes a trooper.... I try to push anything out before I flush it and he just stands there and tolerates it. It definetly isnt bothering him as much now that it drains. My vet and I were talking abouthow most people cant watch it be done, let alone take pictures. lol.
And Natisha.... its not unheard of... but its pretty rare. From what my vet said.... it usually in dryer states.... so we will see once the culture comes back tomorrow or the next day.
Posted via Mobile Device

spirit88 07-09-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlideStop (Post 3016441)
Wow... That puts that viral video "worlds biggest zit" to shame!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok thats to funny made me laugh love it made my day!!!

Skyseternalangel 07-09-2013 10:45 PM

I'm so glad that it's under control.

It doesn't wig me out, I'm used to seeing much worse haha!

New_image 07-09-2013 10:54 PM

Pigeon fever would have been my first guess too.

Either way, poor guy :(

waresbear 07-09-2013 11:07 PM

I am weird like that, I kind of like draining animal abscesses, I can feel their relief. Human goopies draining....BARF!!!!! Anyways, keep us updated as to the culture results. Hope your boy is back to himself soon.