The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   mft has stopped gaiting with front shoes (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/mft-has-stopped-gaiting-front-shoes-230074/)

ladyicon 07-10-2013 01:30 PM

mft has stopped gaiting with front shoes

because it has been soooo dry here my horse had his hoof crack on a trail ride. my farrier put front shoes on him and now his trot is very rough. he does not seem to gait any. is he just getting used to the shoes or is this permanent?

Corporal 07-10-2013 01:32 PM

Absolutely. He wants to feel balanced. I suspect that after you've put in some real miles on these shoes he'll go back to ambling for you.

Guilherme 07-10-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyicon (Post 3020474)
because it has been soooo dry here my horse had his hoof crack on a trail ride. my farrier put front shoes on him and now his trot is very rough. he does not seem to gait any. is he just getting used to the shoes or is this permanent?

What kind of shoes did your farrier put on? Did your farrier do anything else?

If the trim is the same (preferably, to anatomical correctness) and the shoes are a standard shoe (not overly heavy, no toe weights, no grabs, etc.) then it's likely that the horse will quickly adapt. If it does not then something else is going on and you should probably speak with your farrier.

G.

ladyicon 07-10-2013 11:23 PM

thanks corporal and guilherme for taking the time to answer my concerns. I will ride early tomorrow, before the heat and then during the weekend. I will keep you updated. I would never put anything on my horse to make him gait.

TAPITOTTB 07-11-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guilherme (Post 3020874)
What kind of shoes did your farrier put on? Did your farrier do anything else?

If the trim is the same (preferably, to anatomical correctness) and the shoes are a standard shoe (not overly heavy, no toe weights, no grabs, etc.) then it's likely that the horse will quickly adapt. If it does not then something else is going on and you should probably speak with your farrier.

G.

Agree with this. 99% of gaiting problems are because hooves are not trimmed to the correct angles. Give him some time to adjust to the shoes and keep us posted.

Malda 07-11-2013 01:41 PM

I've heard that old way of getting a horse to gait was to put shoes on the front if it paced, and shoes on the back if it trotted. Even though a normal shoe doesn't weigh much, it's possible that it has altered your horse's gait. You might want to go back to the walk for a few days to see if that helps. If he really needs the shoes and there's no sign of the gait returning, you might consider putting shoes on all feet to "balance him out".

This is an interesting video teaching a trotting horse to gait by putting one pound of weight on the back legs, so apparently a small amount can change things.

ladyicon 07-11-2013 07:15 PM

Indy finally gaited today. it took him about 5 days to get used to the shoes. you dont know how good it is till its gone. thanks all.

princessfluffybritches 08-04-2013 01:28 PM

Mine did the exact same thing. She was barefoot for years, but now we have a long road to the trails. I had shoes put on her. She started doing this weird trot even tho she is from the pacey side. Trainer wrapped her back legs and put those light weight ankle beads on her and she went back to a gait. So next time farrier came, I got aluminums that are lighter. Much better, but he put an easy break over shoe on her and it's not right, it's shortening the gait. So next time , aluminum with no eased breakover.

And I've learned that she also needs some toe. Not a lot. But not like a quarter horse . some horses are more sensitive to weight added to fronts.