The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Anyone want to help me with Xander's diet? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/anyone-want-help-me-xanders-diet-230130/)

JustWingIt 07-10-2013 02:06 PM

Anyone want to help me with Xander's diet?

I'm trying to figure out my geldings diet now that we are at a new barn and he is eating different grain, and in a very different living situation. I'm not very knowledgeable about feed so I need the feed gurus on here to help me out. My mom won't pay for feedxl.

Xander is a 12 year old thoroughbred gelding who I event with.

Xander's living situation-
-out in a small paddock (large enough for some vegetation to nibble on, but not grazing) from 730-430. In a stall at night
-ridden anywhere from 3-6 days a week, two of those days being intense lessons, one of the lessons being primarily jumping
- competing at horse trials at least once a month in the summer/fall, usually twice a month

What Xander eats-
-5 flakes of good quality grass hay throughout the day
-1 1/2 pounds morning and night of blue seals trotter (http://blueseal.com/files/feeding-and-mgmt/equine/9_Trotter.pdf)
-a scoop of quiescence, a magnesium supplement
-barn gives him electrolytes when it's hot or I work him hard or both
-he has access to a salt lick

Non-negotiables-
-the amount of hay he gets
-the kind of grain he gets
-he needs a magnesium supplement because my vet and I think he's deficient. Without it his muscles get tense/tight/sore and he gets really anxious

*note- Xander is a picky eater so I am trying to avoid giving him anything powdered
**another note- he is boarded so I trying to avoid messy, time consuming liquids. Basically leaves me only looking at pelleted supplements

Areas of concern-
-according to the trotter label, Xander, as a mature horse, in moderate work, and weighing 900 pounds, should be getting 9 pounds of trotter, hes only getting 3 pounds. Hes at a good weight now, so is it time for a vit/mineral supplement?
-I'm pretty positive he's not getting enough omegas in his diet, and I really like the look of SmartPak's SmartOmega 3 (http://www.smartpakequine.com/mobile/product/8294) but its powder, does anyone know of a comparable product, that's pelleted?

I'm just not sure what else Xander needs to be really healthy. He just doesn't seem to be thriving, and his coat is not very healthy.

Anyone want to help me out here?
Posted via Mobile Device

JustWingIt 07-10-2013 02:09 PM

I dont think those links worked so here they are again

Trotter info- Product Detail Blue Seal

SmartOmega3- SmartOmega 3 - Equine Health & Wellness Supplements from SmartPak Equine

poppy1356 07-10-2013 02:14 PM

Why not try the combo

SmartCombo™ Pellets from SmartPak Equine

They have different versions of it but I think this is the most economical.

I think that has a lot of what he would need since he is in such intense work.

Viranh 07-10-2013 02:47 PM

I really live SmartPaks if you need to give more than one supplement. He could probably use a multivitamin, but maybe put his feeds, work, and weight in to a program like FeedXL and see where he's deficient. You might also consider a joint supplement since he's 12 and in pretty heavy work. SmartPak sells most anything you'd need in a pellet form and can make feeding in a boarding situation pretty easy.

JustWingIt 07-10-2013 02:51 PM

I mentioned above that I can't use feedxl as my mom won't pay for it. It's really frustrating!

I also forgot to metion, he gets polyglycan injected by my vet once a month, so I really don't think he needs a joint supplement.

That's one of the reason I didn't want to do the smart combo, because he doesn't need the joint or hoof support, and I didn't want to pay for stuff I don't need.
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 07-10-2013 03:04 PM

What about the smartvites then? Or maybe the smartvites and the omega stuff?

xlionesss 07-10-2013 03:11 PM

I definitely recommend Smartpaks. I give them to both my geldings. They are boarded and some of the workers are not very attentive. Makes it easy supplementing them and knowing they're getting everything they need in the right amount, no feed scoops missing ever. The only downside is the expense. They are pricier than buying in bulk, but I find it tolerable with the ease of mind I get knowing they're being taken care of. Smartpak also has a supplement calculator, but I do find they try to get you to over supplement so I do not go by it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Viranh 07-11-2013 11:29 AM

Sorry, I didn't see you couldn't use FeedXL. Without FeedXl, you have to assume you need a multivitamin, even if you don't. Funny though, just one month of multivitamins would pay for the FeedXL subscription to do your initial analysis. The multivitamin certainly doesn't hurt, though. I would still maybe do the joint supplement, particularly if you've already got enough arthritis to be on polyglycan. Polyglycan is only HA, and you could still use the glucosamine, MSM, and chondroitin to help your guy out. If you're on a budget, sometimes just MSM, which is pretty cheap, can make a difference in arthritis.

JustWingIt 07-11-2013 11:41 AM

I was actually looking at putting him on just MSM...
So what about doing something like this...

SmartOmega3- SmartOmega 3™ - Equine Health & Wellness Supplements from SmartPak Equine
SmartVite- SmartVite EZ Keeper Grass Pellets - Horse Multi-Vitamin Supplements from SmartPak Equine
Smartpak's MSM- MSM for Horses - Horse Joint Supplements from SmartPak Equine
and his quiessence- Quiessence Horse Supplement from SmartPak Equine

And I have one random feed question...does rice bran oil need to be refrigerated?
Like this...http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...bran-oil-1-gal

poppy1356 07-11-2013 11:44 AM

You might be better off putting him on the combo. I think it would be cheaper. If he has any sort of arthritis you will want more than just msm. I'm currently using the smartflex senior herb free pellets and I am starting to notice a difference after a month.