The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   can a green person lunge horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/can-green-person-lunge-horse-230154/)

chlee1083 07-10-2013 03:46 PM

can a green person lunge horse?

I have a trainer thst has been working with my husbands horse but he hasn't been out for awhile. I would like to lunge him and believe I know how through watching and you tubing. Would you recommend trying? I am new to this forum and will probably be asking many many questions:wink:

Corporal 07-10-2013 03:49 PM

If you get HRTV on cable or satellite look for Lynn Palm's recent program on correct lunging. She has very simple instructions about lunging. But FIRST, have your trainer teach you how to do it. You can easily get burns from your lungeline or get hurt if your horse takes off and you have any of the line wrapped around your hand.

Boo Walker 07-10-2013 04:12 PM

I think it depends on your horse and how well he knows how to lunge. As long as you're not getting drug (dragged?) all over the place and you know the basic safety measures I think lunging is an excellent way to learn how subtle body movements on your part can affect the motion of the horse.

kitten_Val 07-10-2013 05:16 PM

TBH I'm not big fan of lunging. May be for little bit just to take some edge off and keep horse concentrated on you and its own hoofs, but not an endless, purposeless one. You can do plenty of other things on ground: bending, moving off the pressure, back up, side passing, etc.

tlkng1 07-10-2013 05:46 PM

If you have an indoor arena or other large enclosed area, free lunging may be better to get out what I refer to as the ants in the shoes (energy)..it allows the horse to stretch out..it is also fun to watch :).

If you have never lunged before, as was pointed out, you want to have someone teach you how to do it..it isn't quite as easy as it looks. Be sure, however, to ALWAYS wear gloves while lunging and don't get the line wrapped around your feet. You are working with an animal that outweighs you by at least 1000 pounds and trust me, if they want to bolt you aren't going to stop them and wrapping your hand in the lunge line or getting it knotted up at your feet is a great way to get pulled off your feet, burn your hands (think rope burn) and/or get dragged.

chlee1083 07-10-2013 11:14 PM

Thanks everyone!

Saskia 07-11-2013 12:11 AM

You could probably give it a go, wear gloves and do it in an enclosed area. I'd start on a small circle, at a walk and make sure you have control before larger circles and faster paces.

Although, I'm of the opinion that lunging isn't that helpful. I might do a couple of laps in the roundyard or on a 12 ft lead to make sure the saddle isn't causing any issues, and such, but lots of lunging isn't too helpful. It makes the excitable horse fitter, can put strain on joints and doesn't really achieve much. What is the goal of your lunging?

Gossip 07-11-2013 07:19 AM

I'd recommend having your trainer help you out on the first try. Lunging correctly is harder than it looks, and it might be a problem if you get the lunge line tangled. I thought I'd never learn lunging the first couple times I tried it with my trainer! But if you're free lunging, then why not?