The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/)
-   -   What is Modified Equitation? (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/what-modified-equitation-230194/)

DrillRider 07-10-2013 03:46 PM

What is Modified Equitation?

I was looking at the prize lists for the winter shows I am hoping to go to this year and saw that for 2' 6" and above they have regular equitation divisions along with Modified equitation divisions. What is modified equitation? Thanks!

tlkng1 07-10-2013 05:02 PM

CHJA, the Connecticut Hunter Jumper Association (I showed under them :) ) defines modified as:

"MODIFIED ADULT EQUITATION
Open to adult amateur riders who, as of Dec. 1 of the current show year, have not shown in classes with fences 3' or higher at more than three recognized (USEF, CHJA, CHSA, NEHC) horse shows within the past two show years. Riders in this division may not compete in any class at the same show where obstacles exceed 2'6". "

KWPNowner 07-11-2013 03:43 PM

Because that's not a nationally rated division, the specs for the class will vary from zone to zone to some extent. You can see exactly what the requirements for the class are by looking at the prizelist.

However, in general, "modified" refers to the height of the jumps in the division, meaning that they are lower than the height of the equivalent, nationally recognized division. For example, a "modified" Children's Hunter would most likely be a 2'6" division rather than the 3' of the regular Children's and the Modified A/O hunters are 3'3", rather than the standard 3'6" (although in that case, the division is recognized).

The class will still be judged like a normal equitation class. The division will most likely include one class over fences and one on the flat.