The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Palominos, pintos, and buckskins in the Olympics? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/palominos-pintos-buckskins-olympics-230282/)

pintos 07-10-2013 06:08 PM

Palominos, pintos, and buckskins in the Olympics?

This is really random, but when watching the Olympics, Grand Prix, or something similar, I never really have noticed any palominos, pintos, or buckskins. I know that color has nothing to do with how good a horse is at something, or temperament, etc. and I also that certain registries do not allow some colors, but I was wondering if there are any notable horses that you guys have noticed that have placed in the Olympics or something similar with these colorings? This is just some super random thing I noticed so yeah, not saying anything against colors of horses.

GamingGrrl 07-10-2013 07:46 PM

I might be totally wrong, but it's because most of the horses are Warmbloods or the like, and I don't think they can be those colors.

Just guessing though, I'm a barrel racer. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiilaa 07-10-2013 08:14 PM

Gaming gurl is right. You don't see them at that level because the breeds that make it to that level don't come in those colours. As well as that, just like you said, a good horse is never a bad colour, so breeders breeding those top horses don't worry at all about the colour possibilities, so you don't see people sacrificing breeding just to get some colour into the breed.

kassierae 07-10-2013 08:20 PM

Playing off what Chillaa said, generally speaking, most warmbloods that are colored are not of the quality to be making it to the top levels. As she said, people sacrifice quality and talent for color.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blue Smoke 07-10-2013 10:32 PM

Also to note, and I'm not sure how to word this, but super flashy, colorful horses that have uneven markings can be deceiving and difficult to judge. The judge and spectators eyes are drawn to the horses makings and not necessarily its movement, balance, cadence, etc. making it an undesirable trait that you don't see passed along just because they look pretty.

Solid colored horses (with only lower leg and face white) are easier to follow and see the balance and correctness as they move.

MacabreMikolaj 07-15-2013 11:45 AM

Blue Smoke is right! I have difficulty with Jynx in Dressage because when she travels facing the judge, her black head on her white body shows EVERY tiny movement. So she tends to get judged more strictly because you can see every movement of her head while smaller quieter motions or applications of the aids would go less noticed on a solid colored horse at a distance. We get lots of comments about any head movement on our tests! I don't mind, makes us strive for better perfection but definitely certain markings can be deceptive when you have a judge sitting far away and trying to make split second decisions!
Posted via Mobile Device