The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   dandruff in mane (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/dandruff-mane-23043/)

Juniper 02-21-2009 01:01 PM

dandruff in mane

Not sure if this is horse health or horse grooming category. I purchased my horse a month and a half ago. I was not present for his vet check as he came from a home a few hours from here. The vet did check his skin. He never mentioned though, the horrendous dandruff in his mane. I should have been more on top of things and called and asked. I have been giving him Omega flax meal, 1/2 cup every day for a month and a half now, hoping that would help his dandruff. His coat is quite shiny and healthy but the dandruff is yucky! I kind of scrub it with the mane comb and a brush to loosen it up but that has not improved anything either. His tail is fine, no dandruff there. It does not seem to bother him because he does not rub it on the fence or anything. Any suggestions to get rid of it.

eventnwithwinston 02-21-2009 01:45 PM

I would reccomend cheap human conditioners, or horse conditioners such as Mane N Tails. Listerine is also useful for dandruff.

Juniper 02-21-2009 02:09 PM

Do you mean give him a bath and then put the conditioner in and rinse it out or just put some conditioner in and let it stay on? Of course it is too cold to do bathing where we are now but I could rub a little conditioner in

eventnwithwinston 02-21-2009 04:17 PM

I would rinse it out. But I guess it wouldnt hurt to take some warm water, sponge the area, then conditionand let sit, then sponge off.
In warm weather when you give your horse a bath, wash him like you normally would and then lightly rinse. Scrub the conditioner into his mane and let it sit, while you finish the rest of the bath. Then rinse it out. It makes your horse's mane and tail soft and silky and dandruff free! :)

For the listerine, I cant remember the procedure...

PoptartShop 02-21-2009 04:37 PM

It is winter, but you can use warm water & condition the mane. :D It should help get rid of it, & it brings a nice shine.

Juniper 02-21-2009 05:28 PM

So pick a relatively warm day, and just give him a sponge bath and conditioner on the dandruffy part, right? Not sure why I didn't think of that, just bathing the mane, sometimes common sense is elusive! Pretty easy to dry that area with a towel and not let him get cold. Thanks for the info, if the sun shines tomorrow I will give it a try.

zanytactics 02-21-2009 11:03 PM

nutragina T gel or head and shoulders works good to get rid of dandruff

boxer 02-21-2009 11:27 PM

could you try one of those leave in conditioner products?

mudypony 02-22-2009 12:55 AM

I would try this stuff...

Healthy Haircare Moisturizer - Dover Saddlery

It is supposed to help with dandruff if used regularly. Also, you can use it on the whole coat to make your horse nice and shiny!

Jubilee Rose 02-22-2009 12:56 AM

My mare's mane is the same way! I'm going to try Head & Shoulders with her this spring.

*Wouldn't listerine dry out the hair?