The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Feeling miserable and cranky with myself (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/feeling-miserable-cranky-myself-230450/)

Prinella 07-11-2013 12:48 AM

Feeling miserable and cranky with myself

Prin and I had a fantastic day out hunting yesterday, although I wish she'd stop jumping the panels like they're 5ft!
I get back to the float and unsaddle to find a giant saddle sore looking welt and a smaller one near the girth.
Washed her off brought her home and popped some cream on. The friend I agist with thinks its a bit of sweat scald that was hiding and has rubbed the top off.
Came out today washed her all over with vetadine creamed agin and waiting for her to dry a bit so I can leave.

I feel utterly miserable and guilty.

I knew my saddle fit was a bit off but didn't realise it was bad enough to have a huge welt on 1 side and nothing on the other.

I'm flummoxed as to how she's gotten sweat scald I was sure I'd washed her down well enough after riding. 90% of the time washed with betadine and water.

She's been a little tricky to catch for the lay few weeks within 3 mins normally though. I had been blaming the oats, the fact that the other 2 mares were galloping around stupidly and the cool weather.

I'm just feeling ugh. I should go ride my young mare but I'm just feeling so flat there's no motivation.

Surely I can't be the only one who's had these moments? Stupid little mistakes leading to guilt!
Posted via Mobile Device

nvr2many 07-11-2013 12:57 AM

It's not the mistake. It's what you do about it now. Mistakes are our only way to know what and what not to do and improve from there. I am sorry you are going through this but get up, dust yourself off and continue on.

Prinella 07-11-2013 10:20 AM

Nvr2many funny you say it like that...

So I got on Ella after a brief groundwork session. As I was grabbing her saddle from the shed she pulled back so I had to retrieve her from the paddock.
I noticed next doors goats had appeared so I figured that was the problem.
Saddled her up and was going nicely, a little goey but settled quickly.

We were trotting nicely down the arena doing something that resembled a serpentine and she got a bit resistant turning left. I asked a little harder, not yanking just a firm ask.
At which point she reared. I think twice.
I lost balance and fell. Just a plop and a painful broken nail.
After some serious groundwork I got back on and she was walking nicely. A few more discussions about turning, hq yields and yeilding to the emergency stop.

Asked for trot and she tensed again, leap off gallop her in circles, back on, more walking and got a nice trot on each rein before hopping off.

Tied her up and was halfway through unsaddleing when she pulled back again. Then it hit me, she rears / pulls back and breaks the twine so the pressure comes off.

Into the garage find the pull back collar and nylon halter and hard tie her to a tree. Sure enough she tries to break off and is mightily surprised when she can't. She tried twice before giving up. Then she still paced a bit, everyone else was out of sight eating but the rope didn't get pulled tight,if she hit the end she'd move off it.

More tree again tomorrow I think.

Today sucked!

Skyseternalangel 07-11-2013 08:02 PM

I have to ask why you rode her again with such a saddle sore?

Celeste 07-11-2013 10:49 PM

I think that she rode her other horse.

Skyseternalangel 07-11-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celeste (Post 3033346)
I think that she rode her other horse.

Oh okay I thought they were the same horse because of her usename.. I didn't check her barn.

Sharpie 07-11-2013 11:03 PM

I've had days that suck. I think we all do. My guy has a weird roaning thing going on that perfectly matches the outline of the bars where the saddle sits. Also fist sized spots of it on his butt and neck though. I beat myself up for it for weeks. I still feel guilty as heck about it, even though I don't really know the cause. No one else (vets, farrier, other experienced horse people who have looked at it and the saddle fit) can explain it either. All you can do is accept that things happen and try to do something to prevent it from happening in the future. Your horse will forgive you (likely already has) so you may as well forgive yourself.

WSArabians 07-11-2013 11:06 PM

We wouldn't be humans if we didn't screw up.

nvr2many 07-12-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prinella (Post 3027018)
Nvr2many funny you say it like that...

So I got on Ella after a brief groundwork session. As I was grabbing her saddle from the shed she pulled back so I had to retrieve her from the paddock.
I noticed next doors goats had appeared so I figured that was the problem.
Saddled her up and was going nicely, a little goey but settled quickly.

We were trotting nicely down the arena doing something that resembled a serpentine and she got a bit resistant turning left. I asked a little harder, not yanking just a firm ask.
At which point she reared. I think twice.
I lost balance and fell. Just a plop and a painful broken nail.
After some serious groundwork I got back on and she was walking nicely. A few more discussions about turning, hq yields and yeilding to the emergency stop.

Asked for trot and she tensed again, leap off gallop her in circles, back on, more walking and got a nice trot on each rein before hopping off.

Tied her up and was halfway through unsaddleing when she pulled back again. Then it hit me, she rears / pulls back and breaks the twine so the pressure comes off.

Into the garage find the pull back collar and nylon halter and hard tie her to a tree. Sure enough she tries to break off and is mightily surprised when she can't. She tried twice before giving up. Then she still paced a bit, everyone else was out of sight eating but the rope didn't get pulled tight,if she hit the end she'd move off it.

More tree again tomorrow I think.

Today sucked!

Oh noooooooooooo! Well good for you and glad you were not hurt. I think you will be alright. Just remember you are human and try not to beat yourself up too bad, this coming from someone that does this myself, :shock: