The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Mystery Limp... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/mystery-limp-230657/)

reedmm 07-11-2013 01:30 PM

Mystery Limp...

Hi. I got on my 17 year old gelding a couple nights ago for the first time this year. Just poked around the arena nice and easy. But at the jog he's got a limp on his front end. I tried to work it out a little thinking he just needed to loosen up, but it persisted. Checked his feet and they look marvelous, shoes were put on about 2 weeks ago. Nothing is warm or hot to the touch and I dont see any swelling. He's typically pretty clumsy too. We've gone down on more than one occasion due to him tripping. I'm wondering if I should start him on a glucosomine/joint supplement to see if it clears up?? I'm sure bute would make it stop for now but I would like to fix this long term of course.

Open to ideas! Thanks you!

poppy1356 07-11-2013 01:53 PM

Typically what I do when my horse has a limp and there are no outward signs of injury or what could be wrong; I give her a few days off then re-evaluate. If she is still off I call the vet out.

Draft lover 07-12-2013 10:05 AM

If it doesn't go away in a couple of days, I would have a vet look at it and maybe do some xrays. Hopefully it's just a stone bruise or a sore muscle.

mls 07-12-2013 10:54 AM

If you do not know what is wrong - do not bute. You could mask the pain and the horse does something to really injure itself.

Even with shoes, there could be an abscess, could of stepped on a rock and bruised his sole, tripped earlier in the day and lower leg/shoulder/back was tender. Out of shape and saddle was pinching.

Or is simply getting older and stiff.

So many possibilities.

reedmm 07-12-2013 07:08 PM

I spoke with the Vet today. Going to try some epsom salt soaks for a few days and see if it clears up. Otherwise I will load him up and take him in. He's had an abscess in this hoof before two winters ago. I'll be real suprised if that's what it is. We've had a real dry climate for the last few weeks, but stranger things have happened! Thanks so much for the input! : )

existentialpony 07-12-2013 07:50 PM

If your horse frequently trips and falls, and also has mysterious lameness... I would get a vet out ASAP. Sounds like a neurological issue may be at work.

Kayella 07-12-2013 08:15 PM

It could be a variety of things. If he tends to trip, he may not be shod well. There could be an abscess forming, he could have sprained his shoulder or something. Or like ExistentialPony said, he could have a neurological issue. There are so many things that can cause him being "off" especially if he also tends to trip.

Could you post pictures of his feet?
Posted via Mobile Device