The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique Chance and Abz XC (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-chance-abz-xc-23082/)

ShowJumpLife 02-22-2009 07:04 AM

Critique Chance and Abz XC

Critique Chance and Abbie doing XC jumping in the empty waterjump lol.
Abbie is only 12 years old and this is her seacond time riding Chance and her 2nd ever time going over xc jumps so be nice :)
and excuse my vocals haha.

MIEventer 02-22-2009 11:30 AM

Well, the first thing I see - no safety vest. Nothing - at all. This is a sport that demands respect, 100% of the time - these fences are not forgiving...and a Certified and Approved Vest is a definate must.

I've been out on the CC course without - and I learnt my lesson. You wont find me out on any course without, because not only do I value my safety, but I respect these fences and know very well what they can do to me.

Also, for a rider who has only gone over cc fences twice, this is quite an advanced movement - that isn't required until Training Level Eventing. You wont ever, be asked to do a drop into water at Beginner Novice or Novice.

A rider has to learn how to do the drop position - because they can impede the horses movement and want, over the obsticle.

~~~

The approach was alright. A stride out, the rider dropped her horse by dropping her hands and dropping her shoulders. On approach, especially to drops, the rider should be supportive and lifting.

All that horse had to do, was stop - and the rider would of flung forward and down.

Regardless of the obsticle, the rider must always support her horse.

She got a bit ahead when her horse rocked back to drop down, and her hands went directly back and towards her crotch.

She needs to learn how to keep her shoulders back, allow the reins to slip through her hands *because she caught her horse in the mouth* to allow her horse to have the freedom to go down without getting caught in the mouth, while the rider remains over her horses center of gravity - without getting ahead, or left behind.

I also noticed her heels - no base of support at all. Her knees must open up, allow the weight from her upper body to flow down through her seat, down through her legs and into her heels. Her heels must beable to do their job, which is anchoring her into her tack.

Her legs should be wrapped around her horses girth, again - this will not only support her horse, but herself.

Other than that, she looks good.

ShowJumpLife 02-22-2009 07:14 PM

Safety vests are not compulsory for xc training here( only during competition) so it was her choice.

Thanks for the advice will be sure to pass it onto her. Cant let her slip the reins through her hands cause hes impossible to controll on a long rein and after the bank up theres a skinny log so long reins and that dont mix.

MIEventer 02-22-2009 09:33 PM

It takes training to learn how to allow the reins to slide through to release the horse on the drop, and then to quickly pick them up.

This is a jump not meant for a rider who has only done cc twice.

Pinto Pony 02-22-2009 09:51 PM

I think she did a great job with it. I am taking it the horse is a seasoned eventer? He seems so bold and really helps the rider through. She is a little heavy and needs to get the feel for a drop, but I don't see her really catching the horse in the mouth, the reins did slip out a little, you can see as she canters to exit they are loose. I agree with what was said about her lower leg above. She needs to really ride with a forward lower leg and get those heels down and steady in case she does ride a horse would hesitate, and also make her softer on the horses back. Her exit out of the water looks good. Practice makes perfect, she looks confident and capable, there is only way way to learn ;)

Spastic_Dove 02-22-2009 09:54 PM

I am pretty much with MIEventer here. I don't think she is ready to do this jump.
Granted, I've never done a water jump but still.

ShowJumpLife 02-24-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinto Pony (Post 256967)
I think she did a great job with it. I am taking it the horse is a seasoned eventer? He seems so bold and really helps the rider through. She is a little heavy and needs to get the feel for a drop, but I don't see her really catching the horse in the mouth, the reins did slip out a little, you can see as she canters to exit they are loose. I agree with what was said about her lower leg above. She needs to really ride with a forward lower leg and get those heels down and steady in case she does ride a horse would hesitate, and also make her softer on the horses back. Her exit out of the water looks good. Practice makes perfect, she looks confident and capable, there is only way way to learn ;)

Thanks, Yeah hes done Pre-novice HT's (thats the big stuff lolol) so this is like a stroll in the park for him, hes awesome for getting confidence up on cause he just does it, theres only one jump that I cant get him over but the striding on it is really odd.. its like Bank one stride Bank one Stride Bank, 1 REALLY long stride or 2 REALLY short strides to a 85cm chevron lol.
She does need to get the feel for a drop which is why I made her do it, over here even intro has sunken roads so she needs to get used to the drop and I found it really hard getting used to it on tiny drops myself so i got her to do a little one a couple of times and then the big one cause you can actually get the feel for it.
Her lower leg is terrible, she just cant get it down, she used to be a lovley rider when I taught her unfortunatly thats what riding schools do to people :(