The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   What kind of bit is best for a Tennessee Walker? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/what-kind-bit-best-tennessee-walker-23087/)

GiddyVirgil 02-22-2009 11:29 AM

What kind of bit is best for a Tennessee Walker?

My horse giddy is great,but he doesnt respond to the bit we have very well.He likes to just sit there no matter how much/less pressure we have.I am thinking of getting him a rubber or polymer flavored bit.Would that motivate him or is it a waste of money? What kind of bit do I need to get him to not just stand there on his lazy days?

Thanks!

GiddyVirgil

Spirithorse 02-22-2009 01:44 PM

Well, a bit is not going to make him go. That's a foundation issue where he needs to go when you ask him to go. But IMO any horse should be able to be ridden in a simple snaffle bit. Have you looked into Myler bits? I love Myler, they make a great line of bits. Perhaps you could look into a bit with more tongue/bar relief, that way he feels more of an "open door" in his front end.

CJ82Sky 02-23-2009 11:52 AM

Overall, the bit is not a problem solver, it's just a matter of finding what works for your horse and what they like. If there's an issue with "go" then the bit is most often not the culprit unless you have an unusually tight grip on the reins and/or the bit you are presently using is SO harsh that the horse balks as the idea of any motion or contact (which doesn't sound like the case here). From the sounds of it there is a training issue - does he refuse to move forward when you ride bareback? What about on the longe? Issues could include saddle fit and/or back pain, as well as potential leg soreness or lameness issues where the horse has made an association that "go" = "pain" or discomfort.

I'd start from the ground up - literally - with trying to determine the reason he doesn't want to go. The bit probably isn't the reason, but something to be considered when working towards the solution.

farmpony84 02-23-2009 11:58 AM

there are bits that are specifically designed for walking horses. I'm not sure where to buy them but if you google "walking horse bit" you'll probably find some.

I know you said you are having problems getting your horse to go, but once the horse is moving, do you have problems stopping?

GiddyVirgil 02-24-2009 08:28 AM

Nope,he stops just fine.Actually,he will stop when I am still wanting him to go.He is a bit lazy..

farmpony84 02-24-2009 10:18 AM

it is rare to find a lazy walker! lucky dog!

GiddyVirgil 02-24-2009 10:21 AM

Lucky?!?! Haha how do you get lucky out of a horse that just sits there lol.He is a WONDERFUL horse to ride on his not-so-lazy days lol

appy rider 4 life 02-27-2009 12:51 PM

i have a walker bit for sale! if you are interested.