The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Ex racer for pleasure driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/ex-racer-pleasure-driving-230938/)

Mazza007 07-11-2013 06:30 PM

Ex racer for pleasure driving

Hi,

Ive got an ex pacer (not sure what you would call it in USA) Well, the ones that race but a pacer not a trotter!

He's been retrained under saddle and is a lovely ridding horse. My bf is keen that we should get a cart for him. Is this a good idea? Will it confuse him to do both harness and saddle work ? Also, being an ex racer would he expect to race as soon as you put him in a cart? He won a lot of races so we know he's FAST...

Anyone have any experience in this area?
Thanks!

Taffy Clayton 07-12-2013 01:27 AM

I have read your post and I need to think about this one!

Mazza007 07-12-2013 07:28 AM

Thank You!

JulieG 07-12-2013 07:41 AM

The horses I lease are both Standardbreds and are used for pleasure riding and also for driving.

They seem to love doing both!

Lilley 07-12-2013 08:13 AM

my little haflingers do both and are not confused at all. I don't know if you would need to worry about him wanting to race. I guess it depends on the horse.

BTW, we call them pacers in the US also.

greentree 07-12-2013 08:49 AM

No, you won't confuse him.....but I would treat him as if he had never pulled before, start at the beginning with cart training, because he will need to learn word commands while pulling. Whoa being #1 !!!

Good Luck with the project!

Nancy

Taffy Clayton 07-12-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton (Post 3034258)
I have read your post and I need to think about this one!

I have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote this.
I must have read the question wrong or something. :oops:

Like everyone else said... Sure you can do both! Most of our driving horses do both. If you can get double duty out of your equine it makes it a lot more fun!

Good luck!
With an x-racer you need to take it really slow, lots and lots of walking and standing. X-racers often make great pleasure driving horses.

JulieG 07-12-2013 01:06 PM

I will mention that the main horse I ride was a driving racing horse first.
She's retired now and green broke, and the only problem I really have is that sometimes she gets a bit nervous of me being on her back instead of in a cart behind her.

One she realizes that I'm still in charge when I'm on top of her everything is fine, just took her a few rides to get used to it.

GreySorrel 07-12-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greentree (Post 3035186)
No, you won't confuse him.....but I would treat him as if he had never pulled before, start at the beginning with cart training, because he will need to learn word commands while pulling. Whoa being #1 !!!

Good Luck with the project!

Nancy

OP, Nancy has it spot on. I would treat him as if he had never driven before and started from the ground up, as it never hurts to refresh a horse of the basics. We do that with our big team each spring when we take them out of pasture to start conditioning them for the year, they love it and I love it and we both get exercise in the process of a few days of ground driving!

Mazza007 07-13-2013 03:08 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies, thats great news. I'll have to start looking around for a cart, will let you know how it goes!