The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Fair wage for feeding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/fair-wage-feeding-231098/)

gward 07-11-2013 10:57 PM

Fair wage for feeding?

I plan to go on vacation for 7 days and have asked a couple young girls in my barn to feed, water, clean stalls for my two horses. They only need to feed in the mornings as I have arranged evening feedings with a friend. What is a fair price to pay these young girls?

cakemom 07-11-2013 11:19 PM

How many horses? For twice a day and cleaning 2-3 stalls I charge $30 a day, so 20 is likely fair.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreamcatcher Arabians 07-11-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gward (Post 3033450)
I plan to go on vacation for 7 days and have asked a couple young girls in my barn to feed, water, clean stalls for my two horses. They only need to feed in the mornings as I have arranged evening feedings with a friend. What is a fair price to pay these young girls?

A lot will depend on where you are and what is the usual and customary fee for the area or your barn. I can get someone to come house sit and take care of my ranch for me for $30/day and that's full care of all horses, dogs, cats and chickens. Other areas it may be considerably higher.

For sure, don't forget to bring back a small memento of your trip to give to each one as a thank you present.

cakemom 07-11-2013 11:42 PM

Well I will say I didn't consider that they were barn girls already. Mine is going to someone's house. By the way, if I don't have to clean stalls it never goes over $30- it's the stall cleanings that add up.
Posted via Mobile Device

gunslinger 07-12-2013 09:53 AM

While I don't board, and keep my horses here, I guess I'm pretty lucky that my neighbor has horses too.

I feed his when they go on vacation, and he does the same for me when I need to be away.

I'm sure you're not the only one that goes on vacation, maybe just work something like this out with someone else in the same situation.

Cacowgirl 07-12-2013 09:59 AM

I would get this settled before you leave. Feeding isn't labor intensive, but the stall cleaning- I would think maybe $5 a day per stall or thereabouts. Plus a small memento (thank you) gift also.

Cowgirl140ty 07-12-2013 10:05 AM

I have one lady i drive to her house and take care of her two horses and two dogs 2x a day when she is on vacation. I charge $10 per horse and $5 per dog per day. so even with my driving there 2x a day.... I only charge $30. But thats just feed and watering the horses. Feed and watering the dogs and letting them out.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 07-12-2013 11:06 AM

^^^ $10/day/horse would be reasonable in our area.
Posted via Mobile Device

OutOfTheLoop 07-12-2013 12:21 PM

When I was a teen I was paid 5$ per stall I cleaned a day, and was given 1$ per horse per feeding. So if I had 3 horses fed twice a day and stalls cleaned I was paid 21$, bit that was a almost 15 years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 07-12-2013 12:32 PM

I pay $30 a day for someone to come out and feed/water the horses twice a day when I'm gone. They're not stall kept except for really bad weather, so no mucking.

Gas is expensive. Unless you can get a relative or your next door neighbor to do it, $30 a day is going rate for 3-5 horses. More than 5, and the rate goes up.