The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Horse riding is cruelty??? What... (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/horse-riding-cruelty-what-231114/)

pinkbow 07-11-2013 11:20 PM

Horse riding is cruelty??? What...

I watched a documentary that had all these reasons why riding a horse is cruelty to the horse because it hurts the horses back ect, also that bits are cruelty as well... The bits thing is already controversial, but riding a horse is abuse?

I was kind of annoyed by this documentary, and how it claimed to be a real natural horsemen you don't ride the horses back....
What????

Someone please tell me it's not cruel to ride horses... -_-
Either way I'll be open minded, I just don't understand.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreamcatcher Arabians 07-11-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkbow (Post 3033722)
I watched a documentary that had all these reasons why riding a horse is cruelty to the horse because it hurts the horses back ect, also that bits are cruelty as well... The bits thing is already controversial, but riding a horse is abuse?

I was kind of annoyed by this documentary, and how it claimed to be a real natural horsemen you don't ride the horses back....
What????

Someone please tell me it's not cruel to ride horses... -_-
Either way I'll be open minded, I just don't understand.
Posted via Mobile Device

In every school of thought there are zealots. I don't consider riding a horse, bitted or not, to be cruel. It's why they were put here, to work for us. The partnering and bonding we do with them, the we've discovered we can have with them are wonderful bonuses and make us appreciate them all the more but to anthropomorphize (humanize) any animal is not healthy.

bsms 07-11-2013 11:42 PM

Riding them seems to make my horses more muscular. I'm thinking of charging them gym fees for my personal trainer time with them...

freia 07-11-2013 11:49 PM

The horses I ride love being ridden. They seem to feel like they're important, that they have a purpose - a job. They get excited and eager when they see me bring the saddle. They nicker and whinny when they see me and come up to me. If being ridden were such a horrible thing, I don't think they'd do that. Horses form bonds with their humans. They like being with us, and they like going on rides and getting out and using their brains and bodies. Just make sure you have a civilized bit, responsive hands, and a well-fitting saddle, and no horse will complain of its fate.

waresbear 07-12-2013 12:07 AM

Don't believe everything you see on television or the internet. My horse could've made that up and had someone get it to air for him, he's sneaky that way....especially if somewhere in that documentary they said give horses lots of those yummy cookies and throw away your riding gear!

WSArabians 07-12-2013 12:12 AM

I tend to associate those type of NH'ers to the type of religious people that will cram a bible down your throat because the world is ending. IE/ Crazy.:wink:

xlionesss 07-12-2013 12:28 AM

My horses are my partners. If I was cruel I wouldn't pay 500 some dollars a month for them to be spoiled with ample turn-out, smartpaks, brand name grain, tack that I make sure properly fits them to prevent soreness, farrier visits, teeth floats, etc etc...the list goes on and on.

NOT TO MENTION NEAR $4,000 IN SURGERY TO PROVIDE MY HORSE WITH A COMFORTABLE LIFE PAIN FREE **** IT >:(

yes...I'm extremely cruel. I take care of them better than I do myself!

usandpets 07-12-2013 12:37 AM

It was probably done by PITA. Oops I meant PETA. Pretty much the same.
Posted via Mobile Device

flytobecat 07-12-2013 01:44 AM

Horses as they are today (even mustangs) are a domesticated animal which means they've been bred to meet a specific human need. Why wouldn't you use them for their intended purpose. Keeping a horse working and interacting with people is one of the best things you can do for them. Not only does it keep their body and mind in shape, it keeps them productive and useful. How many spoiled unhandled pastured ponies have ended up at slaughter because no one wants to deal with their behavior now that their 1000 lbs.
People who believe this way don't live in the real world.

toto 07-12-2013 01:53 AM

Well if riding is cruel so is keeping one fenced in against their own will and making them eat what you want them to- when you want- and dictating their lives-- if you believe that then owning a horse is cruel too- right? :-P