The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Scratches (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/scratches-23113/)

Erin_And_Jasper 02-22-2009 06:26 PM

Scratches

ok I was just wondering how to prevent and treat Scratches. my horses dont have it but i dont want them to get it either. any help would be great.

Vidaloco 02-22-2009 06:51 PM

I used to have problems with Vida getting it every spring. I pretty much nipped it in the bud by bringing her in to a dry lot in the evenings and not turning her out on dew wet pasture till it dried up.
I've had really good luck with bag balm and MTG as treatments for existing sores. The best thing you can do is keep the area dry though.

Peggysue 02-22-2009 06:52 PM

scratches are a bacteria or fungus that are on all horses skin. Good diet and strong immune system will stop a horse from getting it .. the bacteria will enter thur any opening in the skin and develope on a horse with compromised immune system

Keeping them as clean and dry as possible is said to help

Erin_And_Jasper 02-22-2009 07:11 PM

do you have any pics? so i know what to look for?

TimeOut 02-22-2009 07:12 PM

Try keeping their furnishings clipped so they dry more quickly. Some people swear by feeding flax seed while others use desitin as a moisture barrier.

Peggysue 02-22-2009 07:33 PM

Merck Veterinary Manual

Peggysue 02-22-2009 07:37 PM

The Horse: Dew Poisoning/Scratches

Vidaloco 02-22-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peggysue (Post 256825)
scratches are a bacteria or fungus that are on all horses skin. Good diet and strong immune system will stop a horse from getting it .. the bacteria will enter thur any opening in the skin and develope on a horse with compromised immune system

Keeping them as clean and dry as possible is said to help

I don't think diet has anything to do with it. I have 4 horses all eating the same thing all getting the same health care but only one gets scratches. If it was bad diet or lack of care I would think they would all have it. Since all my horses are kept to the best of my ability I doubt its that.
My Vet told me to just keep her off the wet grass, and keep a waterproof anti fungal on it. I did that and she hasn't had a case since.

Peggysue 02-22-2009 09:04 PM

Horses are like people each horse is different the one you have getting them most likely is needing more of something or like my Sassy is more "fragile" as I call her ;)