The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   How to break in tall boots behind knee? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/how-break-tall-boots-behind-knee-231210/)

belong2 07-12-2013 08:54 AM

How to break in tall boots behind knee?

I just got a new pair of Ariat field boots w/ zippers. I just graduated from college and these were on a boot closeout from a local tack shop so I got a really good deal. I have a hard to fit foot so I didn't want to pass up the chance even though they are Talls and though I'm 5'9", I don't quite need a "tall".
I have heel lifts in them already which helped a lot, but I'm wondering how to break down the top of the boot behind my knee? It's still stiff and digs in when I bend my knee. I've worn the boots around the house for the past few days and everything else has started to fit really well (calf, ankle, etc), but not behind the knee. Do I just need to give it more time and wear them more? Has anyone tried Leather Honey? A friend recommended it to help break the boots in but I'd never heard of it before and wasn't sure if it would help soften the leather behind my knee.

Thanks for any suggestions!

DuckDodgers 07-12-2013 10:40 AM

I am unfortunately having a similar problem with my Ariat tall boots. I think that if they won't drop you're unfortunately stuck taking them to a cobbler to remove the extra height behind the knee. Or at least that's what I think I need to do- even if it's broken in the extra leather will still be there being uncomfortable and inconvenient...

Ne0n Zero 07-12-2013 10:52 AM

That's what I had to do ^. I had a shoemaker cut them down for me eventually. However, in the meantime, what I did was condition them every day and really massage and work it into the leather, bend it, etc. Cheap dish sponges from the dollar store between your leg and the boot to cushion it a bit helps a ton, also.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 07-12-2013 11:37 AM

I feel for you! My daughter had those Ariats that pinched the back of her knee and were tight above the ankle as well. At a show, (me & her are the same shoe size), she begged me to trade boots, mine were comfy, old but in perfect shape, I despise anything that hurt my feet. Being the good mom, I traded. I hated those Ariats instruments of torture! No matter what I did they blistered me, worst was behind the calf, didn't think about the shoemaker lowering them but they were uncomfortable all over. I stood in a bucket of hot water with them, flexed on steps, knelt, used every kind of leather conditioner I could find, nothing made them comfortable. I gave them back to her & told her to give them to someone she hated! I bought another pair, Dublins, aaaaah, comfort once more. After that I will never ever buy or trade boots unless I try them on first.
Posted via Mobile Device

DuckDodgers 07-12-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ne0n Zero (Post 3036050)
That's what I had to do ^. I had a shoemaker cut them down for me eventually. However, in the meantime, what I did was condition them every day and really massage and work it into the leather, bend it, etc. Cheap dish sponges from the dollar store between your leg and the boot to cushion it a bit helps a ton, also.
Posted via Mobile Device

Did yours have zippers? I love my tall boots so much, zippers included, but I've been hesitant to take them to a boot guy because I'm not sure how they would handle the zipper situation. I know that there are some good ones that can do anything with a pair of boots, but I don't want the zipper/snap at the top to be compromised! Can they reattach the snap at a lower point after they cut down the boot?

Ugh, I just need to finally take them and have the guy look at them himself!!

unclearthur 07-13-2013 03:15 PM

Zipped tall boots don't drop. Or they shouldn't, because it'll just reduce the life of the zips.

And having them cut down and re-zipped is usually uneconomic unless a cobbler has just the right equipment, simply because of the way they're made :(

Ne0n Zero 07-14-2013 12:42 AM

Mine are zippered (Ariats) and they were cut, handled it just fine. Although I will admit, I had really bad luck with them from the getgo. The snaps came off of both at the top of the zipper, the zipper broke on one of them - all before I had them cut down actually, and yes they did drop somewhat also before I had to have them cut.

I am not the nicest person to expensive boots though and treated them like paddock boots.. wore them everywhere, every time I rode, etc. They have wear holes in the sides by my toes, but they are the most comfortable shoes I own now. I adore them and since I don't plan on ever showing in English anything again, I'm going to see if my love's stepdad can patch them somehow.

DuckDodgers 07-14-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ne0n Zero (Post 3051290)
Mine are zippered (Ariats) and they were cut, handled it just fine. Although I will admit, I had really bad luck with them from the getgo. The snaps came off of both at the top of the zipper, the zipper broke on one of them - all before I had them cut down actually, and yes they did drop somewhat also before I had to have them cut.

I am not the nicest person to expensive boots though and treated them like paddock boots.. wore them everywhere, every time I rode, etc. They have wear holes in the sides by my toes, but they are the most comfortable shoes I own now. I adore them and since I don't plan on ever showing in English anything again, I'm going to see if my love's stepdad can patch them somehow.

Do you mind sharing how much the cost was? I guess it'll vary widely from place to place, but I'm curious.

Ne0n Zero 07-16-2013 07:34 PM

Oh god, if I remembered I would be more than happy to share. I was a young teen at the time and my mom took them to a local shoe repair store in Cincinnati where we lived and had it done. I will ask her next time we talk and see if she remembers a ballpark, but I doubt she will. I'm sorry! :<
Posted via Mobile Device

plomme 07-17-2013 01:16 AM

I had a pair of Ariat zippered boots and they dropped a ton - several inches.