The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Top boots or half chaps/gaiters (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/top-boots-half-chaps-gaiters-23150/)

peanut 02-23-2009 08:30 AM

Top boots or half chaps/gaiters

What do you prefer?
I prefer top boots as they keep my leg in a better position,
i think half chaps are very comfy but just dont have the support i need.
what do you think and use?

MIEventer 02-23-2009 09:05 AM

I honestly don't believe tall boots vrs 1/2 chaps really make a difference as to "support" for the leg while in the saddle.

Your legs should be strong enough throgh proper riding and conditioning of your muscles, to remain where they should and to do their jobs accoringly.

I have used 1/2 chaps, and never found any difference between them and tall boots via support wise.

But, I dislike 1/2 chaps and paddock boots - because I hate the work involved on getting them on and off. I hate to have to sit down, put on my paddocks and then struggle with getting my 1/2 chaps on. And then repeat when getting them off.

I love my tall boots, with zippers because they are much more convenient for me. I just slide my foot in my boots, zip up and done. Out the door.

peanut 02-23-2009 09:28 AM

I find my other short boots make my foot slip out of the stirrup and my top boots have no slips at all,and keep my heels down.
I just prefer the feel of them.
Yes iam learning about leg postions and it takes alot of work to ride properly and iam still learning lol
I only bought the top boots a few days ago and they just feel so much better to me.And the putting them on annoys me too,ive only been wearing half chaps for a few months because everyone said how comfortable they are but i went back to top boots,easier to put on.
I suppose to experienced riders like yourself it doesnt make a difference but to me it just makes my foot and leg feel more secure.

MIEventer 02-23-2009 09:33 AM

If your foot slips in the iron, then there probobly isn't proper grip on the soles.

But you have to go with what you are most comfortable with and what works for you.

CJ82Sky 02-23-2009 11:40 AM

Depends on what i'm in the mood for. If I'm doing barn work and riding, I'm all about my half chaps and paddock boots because that's easier and i don't care if they get dirty or muddy. If i have a clinic or demonstration to do or am riding all day, then I like my tall boots b/c they are comfortable and look nicer. As for riding, I don't thin either really effects how I ride, just a matter of preference for what else i may have going on that day.

Equuestriaan 02-24-2009 08:10 AM

I love my half chaps and wear them every time I ride! They fit like a glove and sometimes I drive all the way home from the barn before I realize I still have them on! I have tall boots but only wear them in preparation for shows to get used to them.