The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Low heels? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/low-heels-23154/)

cherriebark 02-23-2009 12:25 PM

Low heels?

I am buying another horse, and I found a mare I like. But, in the picture the owner gave me, she looks like she has low heels. Is it just me? Do you see it too? If she does have low heels, is this a big deal? Would it affect her soundness, etc.? Thanks!!

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...nders17/-3.jpg

koomy56 02-23-2009 01:42 PM

I dont see it as a problem. See hoe the front of her hooves match the angles of her pasterns? If you have too low of a heel, and too long of a toe, you would notice that the angles don't line up, which can cause stress to her tendons and also her toes. I think she looks just fine. You can always help her out with trimming, by taking little from the heel each time and snipping the toes, but to me she looks normal! :) I wouldn't let that deter you from purchasing her. She is a beautiful color. :)

smrobs 02-23-2009 04:21 PM

I agree with Koomy. She looks pretty good to me. Her back feet may be a bit underslung but that could have been due to the last trim that the farrier gave her but even there, the angles match. Even if they were, it is so minute that it shouldn't cause any problems. She is a beautiful horse and has a really sweet face. She has got good conformation and I really love how her neck ties in with her chest. Nice horse.

luvs2ride1979 02-23-2009 05:07 PM

I STRIVE for low heels! lol Farrier's often leave too much heel on a horse. The heel should only be slightly higher than the level of the live sole (non-flaky, waxy looking sole material). Any higher and you can change the orientation of the coffin bone, which can have a negative impact on the lower leg heath in the long run.

Cute mare! Nice confirmation and a kind eye.

NorthernMama 02-23-2009 10:02 PM

I don't see a problem really, though something looks funny about her front feet -- like maybe too much heel and too much toe. It might just be the shadows in the pic though because I like her hinds. I wouldn't let it deter you. I don't see anything in the picture that would affect her soundness. She might be a bit back in the front legs, but has lots of muscle and she is a beauty all right!

barefoothooves 02-24-2009 11:19 AM

Actually, I think she's a little long all the way around in the front. Slight flaring of the toe, and if you look, she's actually leaning forward,off her heels, usually a sign of some heel discomfort, from long heels, which means she is likely landing toe first, anothr reason for flaring at the toes, with every step, and COULD, in the long term, lead to navicular syndrome. Her hinds look fine. She needs the fronts balanced and shortened. She's a pretty mare, I would consider buying her and then getting her feet balanced.

mls 02-24-2009 11:22 AM

I see more toe vs low heel.

But pictures do not tell you how the horse moves. A good farrier trims the horse, not the hoof.