The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   HORSEBACK RIDING IS A SPORT.....right? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/horseback-riding-sport-right-23175/)

LacyLove 02-23-2009 07:17 PM

HORSEBACK RIDING IS A SPORT.....right?

So for school we have to do speeches like most(ugh)We have to do a persuasive. The topic i chose to do was that horseback riding IS a sport, for those non-believers. When my teacher was explaining, he looked at the list of topics that we chose and said "this or this or blah blah, or horseback riding is a sport" and everyone started laughing! =[ Now im DETERMINED to show those kids what riding really is! I already have that it's in the olympics, and teamwork. I need one more, any ideas? I'm sure mnay of you get mad when you hear people say that it isn't a sport, help me tell those kids off!

thanks!

bgood400 02-23-2009 07:27 PM

of coarse horseback riding is a sport!!! but I am sure everyone that has horses will say that. =] lets see . . . . it is very competitive, many different levels of competition, people pay for training and lessons (like coaches in any other sport), have to practice regurally to be at the top of your 'game'. Dont know if any of that will help you but mabe?

LacyLove 02-23-2009 07:32 PM

thanks, i know it is, i just needed support, when everyone laughed i wanted to stand up, ask them to get on a horse without any training and jump 5 feet! I nearly started crying but sucked it up, didnt even show any sign of being bothered. Thanks for the help, anyone else?

tempest 02-23-2009 07:35 PM

Try starting out by asking, "What is the definition of a sport?" Ask a few of the members in your class. Then state what the definition is. You should then explain how sports include movement(use the definition) and tell how horseback riding includes what is said in the definition.
Tee-hee... Show those people just how little they know about the sport!

tempest 02-23-2009 07:38 PM

Hey, don't take what people say to heart. The chances are that most of them have no idea what riding means to horse lovers and probably never will. They just don't understand.

LacyLove 02-23-2009 07:42 PM

yea i know, it just aggravates me! thanks for the help!

bgood400 02-23-2009 07:42 PM

I dont know if I would use retorical questions though because if you ask 'what is a sport?' you are bringing the readers view point into your writing, and you dont want that if they are against what you are saying. But defining a sport and telling how horseback riding fits that definition is a really good idea!

LacyLove 02-23-2009 07:45 PM

one of the choices on how to start the speech is actually a rhetorical question....lol!

TwendeHaraka 02-23-2009 07:57 PM

Something you could point out if you're going to compare horse riding to something like football is this: it takes a great deal of physical and mental courage to play football, and it takes the same to ride a horse. Then you could go on to say WHY it takes a great deal of these things.

bgood400 02-23-2009 07:57 PM

lol. my AP Language teacher has drilled into our head that they are bad on that sort of thing, but if your teacher isnt as anal about them as mine is it probably wouldnt be too big of a deal.