The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse flies / cleggs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-flies-cleggs-231906/)

Clava 07-13-2013 09:30 AM

Horse flies / cleggs

Just a quick question - are they a world wide problem? Do you all have the blooding drinking evil things to deal with? and if so, what are your solutions. My friends horse has just had a horrible time in a lesson being "eaten" alive and it made us wonder what people in hot countries do (it is 30 degrees today in the UK which is very, very hot for here).

KatieQ 07-13-2013 09:46 AM

What are cleggs?

Clava 07-13-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatieQ (Post 3045442)
What are cleggs?

Horse-fly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chevaux 07-13-2013 10:32 AM

Yes, we struggle with horse flies and mosquitos here. We're right in the height of mosquito season and the flies are making their appearance now as well. Troubles usually start in June and continue until September when it's consistently cooler at nights. We've had a couple of wet years now leaving lots of water in sloughs, etc., so mosquito numbers are up (on the plus side dragon fly numbers are also up and they consume copious amounts of mosquito larvae).

To help the horses, I spray/wipe them down with repellant. I'm using a purchased water based brand right now as I've temporarily (I hope) misplaced my homemade receipt. I prefer the water based ones as I think them somewhat safer in the long run however they don't last that long and need to be sprayed on daily.

I will also bring the horses into the barn during the day if the flies are really bad to give them some peace and quiet. The horses are in like a shot and you can see them relax right away and they're content to stay (they're really "outside" horses). They'll come in the barn around dusk for their grain supper. The mosquitos are at their most active at this time so the horses may spend a couple of hours in the barn if there is no wind to help them outside - once again, they don't mind this.

Joe4d 07-13-2013 10:33 AM

fly control generally comes down to manure management. All the controls, traps, sprays, repellants in the world wont help if the manure is just left laying in the fields or piled in a pile. Given the chance they will breed faster than you can kill or repel them.

KatieQ 07-13-2013 10:37 AM

Oh, it is just another name for a horsefly- I thought it was something different. We have these new things here that I have never seen before. They are HUGE! (bigger than horseflies) and have white backs. I have never been bitten by one but it must hurt as they drive the horses wild. I have no idea what they are- some kind of mutant alien bug I suspect.

Clava 07-13-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevaux (Post 3045618)
Yes, we struggle with horse flies and mosquitos here. We're right in the height of mosquito season and the flies are making their appearance now as well. Troubles usually start in June and continue until September when it's consistently cooler at nights. We've had a couple of wet years now leaving lots of water in sloughs, etc., so mosquito numbers are up (on the plus side dragon fly numbers are also up and they consume copious amounts of mosquito larvae).

To help the horses, I spray/wipe them down with repellant. I'm using a purchased water based brand right now as I've temporarily (I hope) misplaced my homemade receipt. I prefer the water based ones as I think them somewhat safer in the long run however they don't last that long and need to be sprayed on daily.

I will also bring the horses into the barn during the day if the flies are really bad to give them some peace and quiet. The horses are in like a shot and you can see them relax right away and they're content to stay (they're really "outside" horses). They'll come in the barn around dusk for their grain supper. The mosquitos are at their most active at this time so the horses may spend a couple of hours in the barn if there is no wind to help them outside - once again, they don't mind this.

We don't get mosquitos really, the only biting / blood drinking ones are the horseflies. They start the first week of July (can almost set your calendar by them:lol:) and then continue until the summer cools.

I haven't found a spray which works for them.

Clava 07-13-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 3045626)
fly control generally comes down to manure management. All the controls, traps, sprays, repellants in the world wont help if the manure is just left laying in the fields or piled in a pile. Given the chance they will breed faster than you can kill or repel them.

No much help when we are most attacked by horseflies when hacking out, they seem to like crops and woods mostly.

Ordinary flies are annoying, but horseflies are in a league of their own in terms of discomfort and pain.:evil:

SueNH 07-13-2013 10:50 AM

Horse Flies and Deer Flies | University of Kentucky Entomology

Loaded with them. Several different kinds and some are really big. I've got lots of water around me so I'll never be rid of them.

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/...k/deer_fly.htm

Chevaux 07-13-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clava (Post 3045698)
No much help when we are most attacked by horseflies when hacking out, they seem to like crops and woods mostly.

Ordinary flies are annoying, but horseflies are in a league of their own in terms of discomfort and pain.:evil:

Oh well I know that -- I've been bitten by those things and it is painful in the extreme!! I don't blame the horses in the least for stampeding off.

It is true that the repellant is less effective on the flies, in my experience. A windy day out in the open, on a hill, is the best deterrent but that's pretty hard to replicate and bottle.