The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   research paper (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/research-paper-23194/)

bumble2010 02-23-2009 09:47 PM

research paper

Hey everyone. =]
I know I'm a fresh member, but I joined in hopes of getting help with my junior paper in high school. I picked a horse subject of course, but now I'm having a hard time finding information. I have just a few questions.

Does anyone know a site where I can find the health risks of pasture feeding? By this I mean when a horse is stuck out in a pasture with no grains, vitamins, anything. Just grass.

Another question, what is it called when a horse is sensitive to the change in grass when the season changes? I've heard it before, but not in depth. It was something about the grass changes with the season, and it makes the horse sort of sick.

My paper is on alternatives to horse slaughter and abandonment. It covers why horses are abandoned (uneducated owners on health, price, and needs of a horse), how rescue groups are trying to help, how horses can be given a second chance (lesson horse, police horse, pasture companion, therapy horse, etc.)

I need other topics to add. I can't think of what else to write about. I also need someone to interview, I'd prefer someone in NC. I was hoping to find someone who works with rescued horses or owns a rescued horse.

Any opinions or information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Cierra

Spastic_Dove 02-23-2009 09:50 PM

If your paper is on equine slaughter, how come you are writing about pasture feeding?
And as far as the grass, do you mean how it is risky to turn out a horse on too lush of grass? (usually in the spring)
I didnt know that had a specific name...hmm

bumble2010 02-23-2009 10:08 PM

Well it's covering horse neglect. Everything from abondoning horses, abuse and stuff. It's a broad paper. I had to pick a few different topics to cover the minimum page length.

NewHeart 02-23-2009 10:56 PM

Well first off I think that you need to figure out what you definition of neglect is. If someone leaves their horse simply on pasture, and only pasture, but still provides water and shelter, this is not neglect. If they were to leave their horses for weeks without checking on them and no access to water, that would be grounds for neglect.

As far as feeding habits, horses can develop what is called founder if they are left on grass that is too lush or rich. Is that what you were getting at? Otherwise I am not sure as to what you are asking? There are less nutrients in the grass when it goes dead, but that is kind of common knowledge.

Have you tried googling horse rescues in NC? I did and came up with hope for horses in western NC. Http://www.hopeforhorses.org is the website that came up. I am sure there are others I did not look very hard at all. If your paper is broad then perhaps creating an outline will be of help to you in gathering you thoughts and points.

luvs2ride1979 02-24-2009 07:43 AM

I wrote a 12 page paper in college just on horse slaughter, lol. You sure you need to go into that much depth? ;-)

Spastic_Dove 02-24-2009 11:57 AM

I would say don't even worry about pointing that out. It's not important.
There is A LOT of information to cover just on slaughter/neglect alone in the really extreme cases. I don't think you will have a problem getting enough information but still keeping it concise.
You don't want to be all over the place.

Lori1983 02-24-2009 03:29 PM

I have to agree with luvs2ride...I'm an English major (junior year in college), and for a research paper, you really want to narrow it down very specifically, or you'll be all over the place. Does that make sense?

Anyhow, on that note...I have a great article on equine slaughter...once I find the URL I'll link it to you.

(Oh, and NewHeart makes an excellent point...very clearly define objective words like "neglect." For instance, do you mean your idea of neglect, or the state of Montana's legal definition, blah blah blah...lol, boring, I know...but it makes your paper easier to write in the long run.)

shmurmer4 02-24-2009 05:01 PM

There is no scientific evidence to support any of those claims. If so, there will be incredible simple science, and probably no tests. You will find that other than simple anatomy & biology, there is not much in depth research done on the horse.

Horse slaughter and neglect are incredibly liberal topics, a person could ramble forever.

Spastic_Dove 02-24-2009 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmurmer4 (Post 258417)
There is no scientific evidence to support any of those claims. If so, there will be incredible simple science, and probably no tests. You will find that other than simple anatomy & biology, there is not much in depth research done on the horse.

Which claims?

shmurmer4 02-24-2009 05:08 PM

Does anyone know a site where I can find the health risks of pasture feeding? By this I mean when a horse is stuck out in a pasture with no grains, vitamins, anything. Just grass.

It was something about the grass changes with the season, and it makes the horse sort of sick.

Those two.^

If you find hard scientific evidence that is in depth, so I would be shocked.