The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Is it ok to give a horse molasses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/ok-give-horse-molasses-231994/)

WhyAHorseOfCourse 07-13-2013 02:00 PM

Is it ok to give a horse molasses

So, the horse I work with is really scared of syringes, as I just found when the vet gave him his vaccines. He's also scared when they try to give him dewormer. I was thinking it might help if "nice things" came out of a syringe(one without a needle of course) so that he would start to like it when he sees one and not freak out.
Down to the question, would it be ok to use a little molasses mixed with some water and give that to him? Are there any other (liquid)things that he might like and that are ok to give him?

Clava 07-13-2013 02:02 PM

Lots of feeds contain molasses, so a little would be OK as far as I'm concerned (in this situation, not to feed regularly), but you could try apple juice.

PaintHorseMares 07-13-2013 02:06 PM

Applesauce
Posted via Mobile Device

Samstead 07-13-2013 02:15 PM

applesauce or juice might work better as it's thinner, not sure how much water will do....like will it mix with the molasses well? molasses is okay, it's in the treats I make and those have never been an issue

Sharpie 07-13-2013 02:19 PM

Yep. You can give him just about anything liquidish he might like. Molasses, corn syrup and applesauce are the three usual things. I've also seen people use beer for horses that liked that. Anything you can get to squirt out works.

I had a little 8mo filly who was getting bute twice a day after a surgery and I'd just mix it with molasses and put it in a syringe, and she'd start talking to me when she saw it coming- just couldn't WAIT to get her 'treat.' Can't ask for a horse to be better about getting syringe-fed something than that.

Draft lover 07-13-2013 04:32 PM

Using molasses in empty dewomer syringes works really well. Its fine for them to have it. Don't water it down, give as is so it isn't runny, and the horse gets the full taste of the molasses. Nothing wrong with that at all.

WhyAHorseOfCourse 07-13-2013 04:58 PM

Thanks all for the great input! I'm thinking I'll try applesauce since it's a whole lot easier to clean up then molasses :D