The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Bush fires in oz (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/bush-fires-oz-23200/)

bevie 02-23-2009 10:04 PM

Bush fires in oz

AT THE MOMENT VICTORIA AUSTRAILIA ARE EXERIENCING THE WORST BUSH FIRES SEEN IN YEARS.211 PEOPLE DEAD.1500 HOUSES BURNT. I AM SURROUNDED BY BURNING BUSH BUT AS YET WE SEEM TO BE SAFE UNLESS SOME IDIOT LIGHTS ANOTHER FIRE AROUND US.ANYONE OUT THERE DEALT WITH THIS? I FEAR FOR MY HORSE AS HE IS MY WORLD-DO YOU RUN AND LEAVE HIM OR DO I STAY AND HOPE TO SURVIVE TOGETHER?:oops::cry::-x

RusticWildFire 02-23-2009 10:50 PM

I'm sorry to hear you have to go through this! :( I can't even imagine. I know it would be tough to leave your horse, but if you are in danger and can't save him or it would risk your life, you really need to watch out for yourself. It'd be extremely hard...but you shouldn't risk your own life...
Is there any way you could evacuate him to a safer area now just to be sure?

I haven't been through this but I know there are a few people on this board who are going through it as well or already have.

Best of luck to you. Keep us updated!

trashcore 02-24-2009 02:27 AM

I'm sorry. :( I too am worried about my horse and the fires, there were fires in the national park right near my baby, but we couldn't evacuate any of the horses. :(
I hope all goes well for you, your family and your horses.
<3

makin tracks 02-25-2009 05:12 AM

Hope you are still okay.

I lived in Vic a lot of years ago, back in the days when hubby would go off on his truck and I would be at home with the animals and the house opposite a state forest, no mobiles, no computers, no GPS. Scarey, it is, especially the waiting.

You should have a fire plan. Do Not wait until the last minute to implement it.
When you can see the flames, it is too late to start worrying about filling baths, sinks, gutters and watering down your house and grass.

Do Not decide at the last minute that you are going to flee instead of fight.
If you are going to leave, do it well in advance, fire front closer than 5km is usually too close to leave.

Animals, make sure they have a cleared area to be in. For me, I had to leave all the gates open so the sheep could move from paddock to paddock and I put the horse in with them so he wasn't on his own.

I'm sure you know all of this, but do not panick. It is really hard sitting and waiting, talk to someone to help your nerves if need be.

Remember, though, fires create a lot of smoke (you seriously cannot see your hand infront of your face), heat, wind, and noise like you wouldn't believe. It is VERY frightening, but if you opt to stay, you have to grit it out - you really cannot change your mind at the last minute.

fireinthedisco 02-25-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevie (Post 257816)
AT THE MOMENT VICTORIA AUSTRAILIA ARE EXERIENCING THE WORST BUSH FIRES SEEN IN YEARS.211 PEOPLE DEAD.1500 HOUSES BURNT. I AM SURROUNDED BY BURNING BUSH BUT AS YET WE SEEM TO BE SAFE UNLESS SOME IDIOT LIGHTS ANOTHER FIRE AROUND US.ANYONE OUT THERE DEALT WITH THIS? I FEAR FOR MY HORSE AS HE IS MY WORLD-DO YOU RUN AND LEAVE HIM OR DO I STAY AND HOPE TO SURVIVE TOGETHER?:oops::cry::-x

If you get stuck and need to evac some where please PM me as I live 1/2 hour away from you. I live just outside of Kooweerup:-) I have a 2 horse float and 5 acres with 4 other horses at the moment plenty of hay and lucerne, little bit of grass!

Sarah