The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   HYPP question? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hypp-question-232218/)

Cowgirl140ty 07-13-2013 09:41 PM

HYPP question?

All my horses are Impressive bred.... but they are N/N. Tuesday we are gonna go look at a mare that this lady is giving away... She doesnt want to feed her anymore. Shes giving papers and all. The one thing Im not sure of is she is N/H.
Now I know what the disease is.... but not sure about their diet. According to the lady... she has never showed any symptoms. Of course, we all know, not everyone tells the truth.
So really what Im asking.... is if we decide to get this mare.... I was wondering how you guys who are in the same boat handle it? What you feed.... what to lok for.... what not to feed?
I will also have my vet involved.
Posted via Mobile Device

toto 07-13-2013 10:09 PM

If you know the names of the sire and dam you can find out that way- if theyre both N/N your horse will be too.

Cowgirl140ty 07-13-2013 10:54 PM

Oh... I already know she is N/H. Sje has been tested.
Posted via Mobile Device

paintedpastures 07-14-2013 12:46 AM

Key is Low potassium diet:D, along with regular predictable routine,regular excercise, 24/7 accessible water source.Reduce Potassium to about 1% or less in diet so Read your feed labels,use plain salt blocks,avoid molasses,Soymeal{which are often in commercial feeds},test hay. Hay can vary in different parts of country due to soil & growing conditions.Oats & Beetpulp{without molasses} are good feed alternatives. There are MANY articles on feeding HYPP horses{Google is your friend,lol},Just touch on the basics to give you an idea:wink:. I have known several owners of HYPP horses & have owned a couple.Those I've known been pretty easy to maintain & are not symptomatic:D.Be observant of your horses stress,aware symptoms they could get & if you observe any,have Karo Syrup on hand to treat.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 07-14-2013 12:55 AM

I wouldn't touch her for any amount of money. She may truly have no issues related to HYPP but having dealt with some who did, it's not worth the hassle.