The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   State/region survey (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/state-region-survey-232258/)

Kotori 07-13-2013 11:40 PM

State/region survey

So my story is going to involve a couple(10-15) different states, and I'm trying to decide which ones to do. I don't want to be stereotypical, but I don't have much else to go on.

1.What state?
2.Majority of people Western/English?
3.Most common breed?
4.Average boarding price?
5.Most common Discipline? Least seen?

Anything else you want to mention that you feel is specific to the area (Heat issues, illness, odd traditions) that you wouldn't mind me using.
And incase anyone wanted to know, I'm at 26,000 words. aiming for 60,000 before even thinking of publish (especially since its starting to look like it will become 2+ books if my muse lives)

GamingGrrl 07-14-2013 01:58 AM

1. Washington (Southwest region of the state)
2. Western
3. Quarter Horse
4. 250 self care, 350+ full care
5. Western pleasure, eq, and barrel racing. Don't see a lot of gaited horses around, uh....no fox hunters either.

It rains a lot and sunny days are a big deal. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Rodeo1998 07-15-2013 03:15 AM

1.Kansas (central)
2. Western
3. Quarter horse
4. $100-200 in my area, but can reach to 600 the closer you get to Kansas City
5. Rodeo events( barrels, roping, ect...) not a lot of English events around here

Very hot, not a lot of rain and windy
Posted via Mobile Device

Kamakazi 07-15-2013 12:36 PM

1.What state? North Dakota
2.Majority of people Western/English? Western
3.Most common breed? Quarter Horse
4.Average boarding price? $300ish
5.Most common Discipline? Western Pleasure, Rodeo Least seen? Dressage, other Eventing

mangomelon 07-15-2013 12:45 PM

State: Oregon (Portland)
Most people ride English.
I think the most common breed is a TB or part TB; rhere are quite a few QH as well
Boarding price: $400 or so for full care. A lot more if its a fancy show barn
Most common discipline is jumping or eventing. Not a l ot of western stuff where I am. If people do ride western its like trail riding or gaming and stuff. It seems like all the people who compete ride English.

LadyDreamer 07-15-2013 12:49 PM

1.What state? Central Kentucky
2.Majority of people Western/English? Both are well represented, but I will say there are a more English barns
3.Most common breed? First off Thoroughbreds(mostly race farms), then Saddlebreds, Rocky/KY Mountain Horses, Standardbreds, Quarter Horses, Miniatures, and pretty much everything else.
4.Average boarding price? $500+
5.Most common Discipline? Least seen? Everything is pretty well represented even just once a year in my area. Horse pulls can even be found regularly.

It is difficult to pinpoint things in Kentucky.
Posted via Mobile Device

MsLady 07-15-2013 01:00 PM

1. Oklahoma (Southeast rural)
2. Western, hardly ever see English
3. Quarter
4. If you own a horse, you own property, no stables here.
5. Rodeo or ranch

Most horses here are working horses. If someone says they have a roping horse they may not mean a rodeo horse but a ranch or working horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

morganarab94 07-15-2013 01:29 PM

1.What state? Virginia (North west)
2.Majority of people Western/English? Hmm that's a tough one. In my area I'd say Western but more south there's a lot of English
3.Most common breed? Quarter Horse, Tennessee Walker, Thoroughbred
4.Average boarding price? 250-300 for a nice place
5.Most common Discipline? Least seen? Trail riding is the most common in my area, and eventing the least common. But more South there is a lot of hunter/jumper

xlionesss 07-15-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganarab94 (Post 3063306)
1.What state? Virginia (North west)
2.Majority of people Western/English? Hmm that's a tough one. In my area I'd say Western but more south there's a lot of English
3.Most common breed? Quarter Horse, Tennessee Walker, Thoroughbred
4.Average boarding price? 250-300 for a nice place
5.Most common Discipline? Least seen? Trail riding is the most common in my area, and eventing the least common. But more South there is a lot of hunter/jumper

:lol::lol: It's because I'm further south

1.Southern Virginia
2.English
3.Thoroughbred or TWH
4. Average is probably 400
5.Most common, Hunters. Least seen is probably most the western ones LOL

trailwalker 07-15-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xlionesss (Post 3063410)
:lol::lol: It's because I'm further south

1.Southern Virginia
2.English
3.Thoroughbred or TWH
4. Average is probably 400
5.Most common, Hunters. Least seen is probably most the western ones LOL

Lol. I guess because I am in central va there is an even mix. But the whole state is gorgeous and provides the horse nut plenty of opportunity no matter what tree they fall from. Lolol
Posted via Mobile Device