The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Vet says mare is almost ribby but belly getting bigger (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/vet-says-mare-almost-ribby-but-232298/)

mysecret 07-13-2013 11:20 PM

Vet says mare is almost ribby but belly getting bigger

So I had the vet out tonight...she had initially said my mare I not in foal. She dropped a bunch of weight after she failed but has gained weight recently. She has been pretty lethargic but I thought I might be the summer weather. Vet was out tonight and said she is pretty thin...almost too thin...and not to drop her weight anymore. But th mare is getting bigger....She would only be 3-4 months along if she is pregnant. I'm just so confused why the vet would say she is almost too thin but yet her belly is bigger.....

Mochachino 07-13-2013 11:23 PM

So she is not in foal?? If not horses can be ribby with a hay belly, or when was the last time you wormed her?

mysecret 07-13-2013 11:34 PM

She is worked every 6-8 week's. This vet has missed pregnancies in other horses before. Am wondering if I should recheck for pregnancy?

mysecret 07-13-2013 11:34 PM

*wormed

MyLittlePonies 07-13-2013 11:46 PM

Get a second opinion from another vet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Merlot 07-14-2013 01:31 AM

Photo? :-)

CLaPorte432 07-14-2013 01:36 AM

Unlikely that a horse will show pregnancy at 3-4 months. 6-7 months is typically the minimum for showing.

Poor quality hay or a belly of worms is the most likely cause. Too little protein will cause the pot-belly appearance. Or if you are deworming for the wrong type of worms.

take a fecal into a different vet.
Posted via Mobile Device

mysecret 07-14-2013 12:29 PM

So interesting I'm being accused of feeding poor hay. You don't know me, how well I care for my horses or my knowledge! This was a rescue horse that was bred on the go along heat 6 times. I have had horses for 20 years....I know how to feed and worm. Just was asking if I should get a second opinion. Clearly I need to figure this out on my own. Thanks

churumbeque 07-14-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysecret (Post 3054146)
So interesting I'm being accused of feeding poor hay. You don't know me, how well I care for my horses or my knowledge! This was a rescue horse that was bred on the go along heat 6 times. I have had horses for 20 years....I know how to feed and worm. Just was asking if I should get a second opinion. Clearly I need to figure this out on my own. Thanks

Little paranoid are we? So you ask about what you describe as a hay belly, show no photos and then take offence as to the obvious causes of what we are to guess by your description?
Lots of people that think they take great care of horse do not have a clue and you may very well be one of them. Your vets statements confused you and you didn't ask more questions?

CLaPorte432 07-14-2013 12:47 PM

Whoa, excuse you. Take a step off your high horse and calm down.

you asked for possibilities. I gave them to you. A ribby horse with a pot belly. those are the first TWO OBVIOUS things that come to mind.

I was not rude at all in my original post. Stated facts. Sorry if you dont like the suggestions I put on the table, but oh well.

Find another vet, and get a second opinion.

Like said before, this is not caused from pregnancy, if she is pregnant, the fetus is wayyyy too small right now to make a mare show. There is an underlying cause to the pot-pelly. Its not the possible foal.
Posted via Mobile Device