The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Jobs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/)
-   -   Tack and Tack Room Cleaning? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/tack-tack-room-cleaning-232442/)

ponyluver420 07-14-2013 02:31 AM

Tack and Tack Room Cleaning?

Hi! I hope this isn't in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure whether to put it in horse talk or here, so yeah. :wink:

So me and my friend were thinking about trying to earn some extra money this summer to satisfy our tack cravings, :lol:, and were thinking of starting a tack room / tack cleaning service.

So, here are my questions:

1- Would you pay to have your tack room and/or cleaned?
2- How much would you pay for either service?

We were thinking about $40 for us to clean a tackroom and one leather saddle and bridle. We might change price depending on situation, i.e. if the person has synthetic tack, maybe we'd charge less, if they had more tack or a giant tackroom, more. I will make some example flyers later and put them on here to see what people think, thanks!

ponyluver420 07-14-2013 07:18 PM

Bump. :-| :neutral:

ponyluver420 07-14-2013 09:17 PM

Bump. Again. :-|

Becca93 07-14-2013 09:39 PM

I think you need to find out what the market is in your area and I can't help with that because I'm in Australia.

Around here people wouldn't pay someone to clean their tack room but that might be different over there. Usually that job gets delegated to a farm or stable hand or they just do it themselves.

beau159 07-14-2013 10:03 PM

I personally would not hire someone to clean my tack or tack room. I like to organize things myself so I know where things are at. And I like to clean and oil my own tack so I know exactly what condition everything is in.

And I think in my neck of the woods, people would mostly agree.

It's probably not what you want to hear.

What about working for a barn cleaning stalls? Or being a personal groom? Or heck, working at McDonalds? A job is a job; no shame in having a job!
Posted via Mobile Device

ponyluver420 07-15-2013 12:16 AM

well we are both 13ish, so we are pretty limited. heck, maybe we can just try and see, if it doesn't go well then we won't bother.

faye 07-15-2013 08:19 AM

tack cleaning services round here tend to be offered for those on the same yard as the cleaner.
Tends to be around 5 for a bridle and 10 for a saddle.
I've never heard of anyone cleaning tackrooms so cant help there.

giddyupandgolynn 03-20-2014 01:29 AM

Maybe you should offer to clean just the saddle and tack. Or just the Leather Saddles and Tack. I do this to fill my empty days... $20-30 for a saddle (also depends on how dry and dirty it is), Halters & Bridles for $10 and negotiate another price for any other leather tack. You will need saddle soap, neatsfoot oil and possible shoe polish if you want to add the polishing. Now is the time to offer it, since many are getting ready for shows for the year. Also offer grooming the horse...the fairs are coming up to in the USA.

Hope this helps and gives you encouragement.
Lynn