The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Type of girth (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/type-girth-232450/)

Mandy1 07-14-2013 02:35 AM

Type of girth

I am thinking of riding barebacok on some occasions,, is there any thing that i can put on him (like a girth) but that goes all around him ,, wanting it for somthing to hold onto if need be!!!

xJumperx 07-14-2013 02:45 AM

You could make it like the Native Americans did and just get some thick, cotton rope. Tie it around his barrel where the girth would go, and voila! Just not too tight, you don't want it to chafe. Otherwise, I haven't heard of anything like that that is factory made.

EDIT:Actually, I can. These -
Basic Nylon Fleece 8-Ring Training Surcingle - Statelinetack.com

Training surcingle. You usually use them for lunging and such, but I bet you could just get this, without the whole set, and it would work just fine. Somebody with more experience with such equipment (I've never personally used one) should probably step in and say something, though, because I'm not 100% on how well that would work.

MissingStar 07-14-2013 09:30 AM

Have a look at the "Best Friend Bareback Pad". It looks like a padded numnah with girth attached, no stirrups and has a strap at the front to hang onto for extra security.

boots 07-14-2013 09:16 PM

You could also use a neck strap. Some native American women use one in their relay races.

verona1016 07-14-2013 09:23 PM

The therapy program I'm at has a few surcingles with a large solid handle on them. Like the top one in this picture:
http://www.rectech.org/equipments/img.php?id=1292

You can also get a vaulting surcingle, which is pretty similar but usually have more handles:
http://webshop.viva-iberica.com/ekmp...gle.-686-p.jpg

Mamaof5 07-15-2013 09:06 PM

I have a bareback pad, that I love. It is wonderful.

Mandy1 07-16-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamaof5 (Post 3068906)
I have a bareback pad, that I love. It is wonderful.

Hi,, do you have stirrups aswell with the pad??

MissingStar 07-16-2013 11:25 AM

Mandy, although they are available I would give the bareback pad with stirrups a miss if I were you. Obviously, you can't use the stirrups when mounting because the pad will slip. Once on board, if you become unbalanced and put more weight into one stirrup than the other, again, the pad will slip. The natural build of your cob won't help matters either as he is probably more round than narrow (I've got one too!).

More importantly, the way the stirrups are attached to bareback pads means that your weight is not distributed evenly across the horse's back, unlike stirrups on a saddle. This can make the horse's back sore.

I gather from your previous posts that you can feel trapped in a conventional saddle. Have you looked into some of the treeless saddle designs? Perhaps something more stable than a bareback pad with stirrups but not as rigid as your current saddle?

I have a bareback pad (no stirrups) and would recommend it. Plus, I have a treeless saddle for the cob as he is built like a barrel on legs :wink:.

MissingStar 07-16-2013 11:40 AM

Ha, Ha, Mandy! Please ignore my last two paragraphs. I've just found your post on looking for a treeless western saddle :lol:.

I ended up buying a Barefoot treeless for my cob. They do a western design one (think it's the Nevada but don't quote me on that).

Mandy1 07-16-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissingStar (Post 3074610)
Ha, Ha, Mandy! Please ignore my last two paragraphs. I've just found your post on looking for a treeless western saddle :lol:.

I ended up buying a Barefoot treeless for my cob. They do a western design one (think it's the Nevada but don't quote me on that).

Haha,, was going to say im looking into getting a treeless western,, cheers hun,,x