The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Will my colt be considered paint or breeding stock? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/will-my-colt-considered-paint-breeding-232498/)

Blazeeofglory 07-14-2013 08:37 AM

Will my colt be considered paint or breeding stock?

My colt is a full paint. Both parents are black and white overos (both of them are on my property) He is a very copper sorrel color with some flaxen in his mane and tail, 3 white socks and a blaze. He is only 10 months old. Is it possible for some white to appear on him? Would be be considered breeding stock because of the lack of white on his body, or would be just be a solid paint?

Thank you!

JetdecksComet 07-14-2013 09:01 AM

If he has no qualifying white, he will be registered as a "Solid Paint-Bred" aka SPB.

Here are the color requirements:

Color Requirements

waresbear 07-14-2013 09:06 AM

No unfortunately, white does not develop later on, at least not enough to have the minimum 2 inches of pink skin underneath it. I think the changed the terms in the APHA, my horse was born in 2000, his papers say under the heading below his picture "Type of Registration - Identifaction Status" and in the Pattern Type, it lists "Solid". Now my loud colored paint & sire of my solid horse (his dam was a tobiano, loud too), under the "Type of Registration" it lists "Regular" and under the Color/Type it lists Chestnut/Overo. The solid horse's paper has a separate spot for just color because pattern type is separate, it already listed Solid.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blazeeofglory 07-14-2013 09:47 AM

I do know that the same sire and **** had produced a filly of similar color several years ago (she passed away due to a freak accident). She had a small white spot on her chest though, that increasingly grew larger over time. Is this only possible if he were to have already displayed some white ln him?
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiilaa 07-14-2013 10:13 AM

No, white won't develop.

Also, be aware that breeding two overos together is a terrible idea. I get the impression from your posts that you aren't the breeder, so don't take this as an attack on you if that is the case. Overo to overo breedings are dangerous, and can result in foals that will die within 72 hours of birth.

Blazeeofglory 07-14-2013 10:18 AM

Lethal whites, yes im aware. I am not the breeder, but I know she has produced only 2 lethal whites. The sire was gelded several months after my colt was born, so they wont be bred together any longer. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 07-14-2013 10:26 AM

My solid horse did develop white hairs throughout his coat and a few tiny white spots or smears of white but no pink skin underneath, that is the requirement for Regular registration versus Identification status. I believe that pink skin has to be above the knees and behind the throat and be at least 2 inches in diameter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cat 07-14-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazeeofglory (Post 3052874)
Would be be considered breeding stock because of the lack of white on his body, or would be just be a solid paint?

Thank you!

I believe Breeding Stock is old terminology and they now call them solid paints on the papers.

waresbear 07-14-2013 11:50 AM

In 2000, there is no mention of breeding stock on my horse's registration papers, under "Type of Registration" it says "Identification Status" under "Pattern Type" it says "Solid", did it used to say "Breeding Stock"? I have 1994 APHA papers but those are for a colored horse, totally different.
Posted via Mobile Device

QtrBel 07-14-2013 02:44 PM

Around here they are in discussion referred to as breeding stock which I put down to habit since the terminology on the papers has changed. My "breeding stock" are listed as Solid under Color.