The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Bobbing his head (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bobbing-his-head-23251/)

tempest 02-24-2009 04:31 PM

Bobbing his head

How can I stop a horse from bobbing his head. Its gotten better lately but when he does it it gets really bad and annoying.

mls 02-24-2009 04:33 PM

Bobbing his head how?

Normally a horse that bobs his head indicates a front end lameness.

tempest 02-24-2009 04:35 PM

He developed the habit when he was a driving horse. He did that to loosen the head check.

Spirithorse 02-24-2009 11:53 PM

When does he do it? When you're riding? Is it usually more sunny outside when he does it more? Sometimes horses can develop sensitivity to light.

Dumas'_Grrrl 02-25-2009 09:42 AM

What breed if the horse? Some gaited breeds just bob. More info and maybe a picture or video would be fantastic!

tempest 02-25-2009 04:51 PM

I don't have any videos, and definantly no pictures of someone riding him.
He's an American Saddlebred. But he does it when I ride him and we're in the barn when he does it. The only time I rode him outside was just before it started to snow and he didn't do it then, but ha had a major obsession with trotting.
I don't know how much more info I can give you.

CJ82Sky 02-25-2009 04:55 PM

Simple trick - hang an eggbutt snaffle on the reins under his chin (not on the noseband, just on the reins). A lightweight snaffle is fine - such as a hollow mouth - you don't want to hurt him! But as he tosses his head he'll be clocking himself with the bit hanging on the reins and also jerk on his own mouth. Usually do that for one or two (short) rides and the horse stops the head tossing.

Few things to note though - this will ONLY work if the head tossing is a vice and not due to pain. You should also have his teeth checked as it can be something due to dental issues. However if it's behavioral, this will often do the trick! Just like I said please don't use a heavyweight bit - you don't want to crack his jaw! Just want him to associate the head tossing with a bop in the chin.

farmpony84 02-25-2009 04:56 PM

I would check his teeth to ensure there is no issue and then I would assume he's trying to avoid the bit. What you might try doing is set his head where you want it, you'll probably have some reign contact because it sounds like he wants to travel on his front end, the INSTANT he drops his head - release. Give him reward but then take it back to where you want it. He'll realize soon that if he holds his head in a specific place, you arent goign to pull on his bit......

tempest 02-25-2009 05:01 PM

He has had his teeth checked recently and his shots are up-to-date.
He only bobs his head maybe once a month, but when he does it's excessive and nearly impossible to stop. He has the right headset for Huntseat and Saddle seat, which are the two disciplines I'm focusing him on. The one he uses depends on the saddle. If I'm using a Saddle seat saddle he won't do an English headset. If it's a hunt seat saddle he won't do a Saddle seat headset.

equineangel91 02-25-2009 06:56 PM

Well first thing is of course to rule out pain. Make sure his teeth are proper and good. Also be sure the horse isnt lame. And check ofr neck or back pain

If you can rule all of that out..its clearly a behavioral problem
I can't say for sure about ur horse without more detail. However, one horse i rode did just that. He was simply complaining and it was a way to evade for him. Keep ur shoulders back and elbows loose. Don't give to him when he does this. Many horses evade this way and the rider gives in to avoid being jerked around. However if ur seat is secure, you should not be jerked out. Focus. When the hores does this, add leg, make him continue through the work..when he stops the head bobbing. Praise vocally or give him a pat. This helped the horse i rode. However i dont know if yours is the same